Register a birth
How do I register a birth in Northamptonshire?
Use our online booking system to book an appointment at our
. The appointment will last approximately 30 minutes.
By law, a baby's birth must be registered within 42 days of the date of birth.
What information will the Registrar ask for?
- The date and place of birth of the baby
- The sex of the baby
- The baby's full names and surname
- The dates and place of birth of the parents
- The parents' occupations
- The mother’s maiden name
- The date of the parents' marriage (if applicable)
- Where the parents are living
- Please bring the baby's red record book, if available, when you attend your appointment.
What else do I need to know?
- A short birth certificate is issued free of charge.
- There is a statutory fee for additional copies, for more information please visit our fees page for charges.
- A full birth certificate is needed for a passport for your baby for which there is a small statutory charge.
- The appointment will last about 30 minutes
Copy birth certificates
You can apply online for a copy certificate.
Please visit Gov.uk for information relating to:
- Registering a birth in the UK
- Obtaining a birth certificate after adoption
- Changing a child’s details on a birth record