Bringing the library to you
There are three main services we offer which mean you can still enjoy the Library Service even if you are unable to visit your local library:
There are two mobile library vans covering the east and west of the county.
Mobile Library Review 2015
We review the mobile library service every year and work with our drivers to look at all the comments and suggestions we receive.
As a general rule we will try to add time to busy stops and remove stops where less than two people use them. Sometimes the logistics of this mean we have to amend the times of other stops to make the routes cost effective and fuel efficient.
Following recent comments about the Sunday routes, we will be making further changes from 1 March 2015. From this date we will be merging routes, as customers are telling us they would prefer later stops on Sundays. This also makes more efficient use of resources by making longer routes on Sundays, and will enable us to deliver a consistent and sustainable service.
We continue to welcome your comments which will feed into the next annual review, scheduled to take place in the summer of 2015. Please continue to log your comments with our drivers.
Home Library Service
How does it work?
This is a free service for customers who are unable to get to the library, either through age or disability.
A member of library staff will call you to explain how the service works and to discuss your reading preferences
We will then select items for you according to your tastes and requirements
Volunteers then deliver to your home every month and will talk to you to ensure that we are selecting the right stock for you
How do I arrange a visit?
To arrange a visit or find out more, please contact your local library.
Sound Reads Service
How does it work?
We are here to help people with a visual impairment who enjoy reading to find out about the services available to them in Northamptonshire.
- Home visits
- A home visit from volunteers who will explain the various reading services available to you.
- Audio book service
- Audio library
- Help filling in the application form for the Calibre Audio Library.
- Calibre Audio Library provides audio books on MP3 disc to your home by post. (There is a one off administration charge to join the service - £35 Adults, £20 children)
- Talking newspapers and magazines
- Sounds Good Reading Groups
- Reading groups for visually impaired people meet at the Hunsbury and Wellingborough libraries.
- The Sounds Good reading groups welcome new members and can help out with transport if that is a problem.
- Each library provides copies of the audio books to be discussed prior to the relevant meeting and we also vary the programme by organising author visits and poetry readings.
- If you like listening to audio books and would like to discover new titles and authors and share your reactions with friends, why not come and join us?