Service disruption to the Mobile Library Service during April
Due to mechanical problems with one of our Mobile Library vehicles, the Mobile Library service will suffer some disruption to the service during April 2016. This will result in a reduced service and some cancellations to the normal routes.
Customers will be advised of any disruption to their service and items will be renewed for those who will not receive their normal visit.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused. We will be pleased to answer any questions you may have about how you might be affected. Please contact Customer Services on 0300 126 1000 for further information.
Bringing the library to you
There are three main services we offer which mean you can still enjoy the Library Service even if you are unable to visit your local library:
- Mobile Libraries
- Home Library Service
- Sound Reads Service
There are two mobile library vans covering the east and west of the county.
Mobile Library Review 2015
We review the mobile library service every year and work with our drivers to look at all the comments and suggestions we receive.
As a general rule we will try to add time to busy stops and remove stops where less than two people use them. Sometimes the logistics of this mean we have to amend the times of other stops to make the routes cost effective and fuel efficient.
We continue to welcome your comments which will feed into the next annual review, scheduled to take place in the summer of 2015. Please continue to log your comments with our drivers.
Home Library Service
How does it work?
This is a free service for customers who are unable to get to the library, either through age or disability.
A member of library staff will call you to explain how the service works and to discuss your reading preferences
We will then select items for you according to your tastes and requirements
Volunteers then deliver to your home every month and will talk to you to ensure that we are selecting the right stock for you
How do I arrange a visit?
To arrange a visit or find out more, please contact your local library.
Sound Reads Service
How does it work?
We are here to help people with a visual impairment who enjoy reading to find out about the services available to them in Northamptonshire.
- Home visits
- A home visit from volunteers who will explain the various reading services available to you.
- Audio book service
- Subscriptions to the audio book service provided by the Royal National Institute of the Blind. This service is no longer paid for by Northamptonshire Libraries but is free from the RNIB.
Talking newspapers and magazines
Sounds Good Reading Groups
- Help filling in the application form for the Calibre Audio Library.
- Calibre Audio Library provides audio books on MP3 disc to your home by post. (There is a one off administration charge to join the service - £35 Adults, £20 children)
- Reading groups for visually impaired people meet at the Hunsbury and Wellingborough libraries.
- The Sounds Good reading groups welcome new members and can help out with transport if that is a problem.
- Each library provides copies of the audio books to be discussed prior to the relevant meeting and we also vary the programme by organising author visits and poetry readings.
- If you like listening to audio books and would like to discover new titles and authors and share your reactions with friends, why not come and join us?