Register a death
How do I register a death or stillbirth in Northamptonshire?
Use our online booking system to book an appointment at our
The appointment will take approximately:
- 30 minutes to register a death
- 60 minutes to register a stillbirth
Alternatively you can contact our call centre on 0300 126 1000 (Monday - Friday 8:00am - 6:00pm).
Please visit GOV.UK for information relating to registering a death or stillbirth and what you need to do:
Tell Us Once
Tell Us Once is a new government service that will help you with your recent bereavement.
It allows you to inform all relevant central and local government departments about the person who has died by phone or online.
Deaths reported to the Coroner
A small number of deaths have to be reported to the Coroner before the death can be registered at the Registrar's Office and before the document allowing the funeral to go ahead can be issued.
The following are the circumstances where a death would normally be reported to the Coroner:
- Where there is no doctor who can issue a medical certificate of cause of death
- Where the deceased was not seen by the doctor issuing the medical certificate after death nor within 14 days before death
- Where the cause of death is unknown
- Where the cause of death is believed to be unnatural or suspicious
- Where the death occurred during an operation or before recovery from an anaesthetic
- Where the death is due to industrial disease or industrial poisoning
Once a death has been reported to the Coroner, the Registrar cannot go ahead with the registration until the Coroner has decided whether any further investigation is needed. In the vast majority of cases no further investigation is necessary and the registration can be completed.
If you wish to speak to a Coroner’s Officer about an existing case please call:
- Northampton Coroner’s Office
03000 111 222 and ask for Northampton Coroner’s Office
- Kettering Coroner’s Office
03000 111 222 and ask for Kettering Coroner’s Office
Coroner for Northamptonshire
The Senior Coroner for Northamptonshire is:
Mrs Anne Pember
HM Coroner for the County of Northamptonshire
110 Whitworth Road