Page last updated 09 September 2014

Social Fund - Help and independence

What help is available?

We are focusing on putting in place arrangements that help people in need, but are also trying to prevent problems happening in the future.

Northamptonshire County Council does not provide a system of cash loans or grants, but is developing the following help:


From 1 April 2013, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) stopped providing Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans because of changes to the Social Fund, under the Welfare Reform Act 2012.

The government transferred money directly to county councils to develop local assistance for vulnerable people and those facing greatest difficulty in managing their income.

Information about DWP benefits and Job Centre services can be found on the Gov.UK website.

Further information

For enquiries please email

Bookmark with: