Assessment and review

If you feel you need care and support, and the information available does not help then you or your representative can request an assessment of your needs to identify what might help.

You may be finding it difficult to look after yourself, or live the way you want to because you may have a physical or mental impairment or illness that affects your independence; for example:

  • a mental health issue
  • dementia
  • lost some or all of your hearing or sight
  • a physical disability or injury
  • a learning disability; or
  • Asperger's Syndrome or a similar condition.

Your assessment is about you, and is completed together with the support of adult social services.

With your agreement, the council may also talk to other people who know you, or support you, including your doctor or nurse if you have one.

Will I have to pay for the help I get?

All the council's advice is free of charge, but it is likely that you will need to pay towards the cost of the care and support you receive. 

See when you qualify for council support and when you need to self-fund:

During your assessment we will discuss this with you, and will send you a financial assessment form for you to complete to determine how much you should contribute towards any care or support you receive.

There are some cases where customers are entitled to free care and support services and are therefore not required to complete a financial assessment. For further information, check if you are entitled to free care and support.

How do I request an assessment or a review?

Care professionals

If you are a professional working with adults, please use the care referral form:

Make a care referral or request a review (professionals)

Members of the public

For advice or to make a self-referral to adult social services (including mental health referrals), complete the online form:

Make a self-referral, refer on behalf of someone else, or request a review

What if my circumstances change?

Should your circumstances change at any point, you can contact adult social services to request a review. Use the Request an assessment or review links above. We will discuss with you what your needs are and any changes that you may need. 

What will we ask you?

We will use the national eligibility criteria to ask questions around the following areas:

  • Managing and maintaining nutrition
  • Maintaining personal hygiene
  • Managing toilet needs
  • Being appropriately clothed
  • Are you remaining safe in the home
  • Maintaining a habitable home environment
  • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • Making use of facilities or services in the local community including public transport and recreational facilities or services
  • Carrying out any caring responsibilities you may have for a child

What will happen next?

If we consider you may have some eligible needs, an adult social services worker from the team where you live will contact you in due course. A full needs assessment will be carried out at this point.

You will receive a financial assessment pack and a self-assessment form in the post. Please fill in as much of this as you feel able to, prior to the adult social services worker coming to visit you to do your assessment.

If you need further support with filling out the financial assessment, you can contact:

Telephone: 0300 126 1000, Option 2


How quickly will you complete my assessment?

This will depend on how urgent your needs are, and to what extent your difficulties are affecting your independence.

We will endeavour to complete your assessment within 28 days but if your situation is urgent we would complete your assessment a lot sooner. There may be circumstances where this period is extended if we need to gather further information about your medical conditions or your circumstances.

Am I guaranteed to receive support from the council?

Your assessment will give us the information we need to decide whether you are eligible for care and support from adult social services.

Not everyone who has needs will be eligible for care and support from us.

We may direct you to another department or agency; for example, your GP, an occupational therapist for equipment or the housing department if they feel they would be better placed to meet your needs.

How do you decide if I am eligible for support?

We will take into account the difficulties you are facing and how much this affects your independence and wellbeing; this is called the National Eligibility Framework.

Northamptonshire's Assessment and Eligibility Policy can be viewed below:

What happens after my assessment if I am eligible for support?

If your assessment shows that you have eligible care needs, you will be entitled to support from the council.

You will receive help to plan how best to manage your care and support. This is called your support plan. You will also undergo a financial assessment to identify if you will have to contribute to the cost of your care.

We will discuss with you what options and services are available to help you.

What happens if I am not eligible for support from the council?

Where your assessment has shown that your needs don't meet the minimum eligibility criteria, we will provide you with information and advice to enable you to arrange assistance for yourself.

You can visit the 'Care Choices directory' to search for all types of care providers and care homes in Northamptonshire.

What if I disagree with my assessment decision?

If you disagree with any part of your assessment, then you can appeal.

Appeals of this nature should be directed to the council Complaints and Representation Service.