Carers' breaks

There may be occasions when you as a carer need a break from your caring role. A carer's break (also known as respite care), depending on the circumstances, can range from an hour's home-based service to a residential stay up to an agreed time for the person you care for.

There are also a variety of other breaks such as emergency breaks, carers' groups leisure and training opportunities or sitting services which may be available.

Who can access carers' breaks?

Anyone who cares for a friend or relative who:

  • is an older person
  • has a learning disability
  • has a physical disability
  • has a long term illness
  • suffers a mental health problem

What services are available?

This service may include:

  • day services for adults and older people
  • home based respite
  • leisure and training opportunities
  • emergency breaks
  • dementia cafes ​

Respite Care can be pre-booked at specialist care centres following an assessment of your needs.

It is a chargeable service so there will be a financial assessment to determine how much you will have to contribute towards the cost.

If you have income or savings above the financial threshold, or you wish to self fund, you can access Respite Care at specialist care centres through Adult Social Care.

How to request an assessment

Northamptonshire Carers

They will carry out an assessment of your needs. This is known as a carer's assessment. This helps them to consider the best way to support you in your caring role.

This may result in some changes to the care and support from Northamptonshire County Council for the person you're caring for.

The person you care for does not have to be receiving services from the council for you to be able to have a carer’s assessment.

Contact Northamptonshire Carers

Norarch - Northamptonshire Association of Registered Care Homes

Norarch membership includes residential and nursing care both for younger and older people and for people with learning difficulties. They also offer specialist homes such as a home for the blind. Membership is restricted to proprietors and managers of registered care organisations in Northamptonshire.

Norarch have compiled a list of care homes who are willing to offer respite beds to self funders.