Mental health

If you are worried about your mental health or that of someone you care for, the usual starting point for advice is the GP who should be able to identify the appropriate level of response. They may suggest some form of self-help using local resources with or without some medication.

GPs also have access to a wide range of counselling and advice programmes that they may refer you to.

If your concerns appear more serious they may refer you to a specialist mental health service.

Mental health services

We work in partnership with both primary care and more specialist mental health services provided by the NHS to ensure that both health and social care needs are responded to.

The Mental Capacity Act

The Mental Capacity Act came into force on 1 October 2007. It enables a representative of either your choice or someone appointed by the Court of Protection or Department for Work and Pensions to assist you with your finances and other important decisions regarding your welfare.

Request an assessment or review from adult social services

We can give you information, advice and guidance to help you remain independent. Where you may require additional help we can assess you to see if you have eligible needs or to review your current care package.

How to request an assessment or review

Local and National organisations offering support 

There are many local and national organisations that offer information, services, leaflets and advice lines to support with your mental health.

  • CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably) - is a registered charity, which exists to prevent male suicide in the UK.

  • Self Injury Support - Self injury Support is a national organisation that supports girls and women affected by self-injury or self-harm. 

  • SANE - specialist emotional support and information to anyone affected by mental illness, including family, friends and carers.

  • OCD - facilitate a safe environment for people affected by OCD to communicate with each other and provide mutual understanding and support.

  • Rethink Mental Illness advice Service - helping people living with conditions like schizophrenia , bipolar disorder, personality disorders and more to recover a better quality of life.

  • Samaritans - If you have a mental health diagnosis, you can talk about it with The Samaritans, or you may want to talk to them about something else that’s troubling you.

  • Anxiety UK - works to relieve and support those living with anxiety disorders by providing information, support and understanding via an extensive range of services.

  • Depression Alliance - offers support, advice and information about depression.

  • MIND - can help you make choices about treatment, understand your rights or reach out to sources of support.