Carers into your home

Having carers come into your own home is often referred to as ‘domiciliary’ or ‘home care’.

The range of care available is varied and each person should be involved in their own care plan.

Following assessment of your eligible needs, any domiciliary care can be funded in part or fully by the council. You can of course make alternative arrangements with a private contractor and pay for this yourself. If you are in receipt of Attendance Allowance or Personal Independence Payment, you may choose to use this towards your care support.

In Northamptonshire we are committed to helping people remain in their own homes wherever possible.

What care and support is available?

Support to live at home can include:

  • Washing
  • Dressing
  • Cooking
  • Managing finances

You may wish to receive care and support because you are frail, have severe learning disabilities, mental health needs or a physical disability.

Request an assessment or review from adult social services

We can give you information, advice and guidance to help you remain independent. Where you may require additional help we can assess you to see if you have eligible needs or to review your current care package.

How to request an assessment or review

Finding care agency support

If you have an adult care worker, they can provide you with information of how to find care agency support, or you can search the Care Services Directory.

Choosing care agency support

When considering purchasing care or support in your own home, you may find the care agency checklist helpful:

Care Quality Commission (CQC)

The CQC is an independent health and adult social services regulator. Its job is to make sure that the health and social care services offer safe, effective and high-quality care.

All care providers should be registered with the Care Quality Commission – check out their reports and ratings, and ask for customer testimonials.