Major adaptations to the home

For major adaptations such as a stairlift, ramp, level access shower or extension, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help towards the cost of adapting your home.

Adaptations for adults

A grant is paid when the council considers that changes are necessary to meet your needs, and that the work is reasonable and practical.

You can claim if you, or someone living in your property, are disabled and:

  • you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, are either the owner or tenant (including licensees) of the property
  • you can certify that you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, intend to occupy the property as your/their only or main residence throughout the grant period (currently five years).

​If you have physical health problems, your local borough or district council could help to find a property which has already been adapted in a way that meets your needs. Alternatively, they may be able to get a housing grant to cover any adaptations which need to be made.

Minor adaptations costing less than £1,000 are provided by the council at no charge, if you are assessed as needing them.

Minor adaptations include:

  • grab rails to make it safer to get in and out of a bath
  • blocks to make beds higher
  • raised toilet seats and bath seats

In some cases you may be asked to pay costs associated with these changes, such as maintenance charges. If you disagree with the decision about a minor adaptation, you can use the council's complaints procedure.

If the adaptation costs more than £1,000, you may be eligible for a disabled facilities grant to help pay for it. This could include bigger changes, such as:

  • improving access to rooms and facilities, such as stair lifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • providing a heating system suitable for your needs
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

A disabled facilities grant will not affect any benefits that you're getting.

How do I apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant?

Contact the person listed below, according to the type of home you live in.

Privately owned homes

Council property

Housing association

If you are living in another Housing Association property then please contact Community Occupational Therapy.

Request an occupational therapy assessment for yourselfRefer someone else for an occupational therapy assessment

Landlords duty to make 'reasonable adjustments'

Under the Equality Act 2010, there is a duty for landlords to make 'reasonable adjustments' for tenants with disabilities.

Your landlord doesn't have to make changes which affect the structure or which would substantially and permanently alter the building. For example, they don't have to remove walls, widen doorways or install permanent ramps. But there are some things they must do to adapt your home if you're disabled and if it is reasonable to do so.

For example, you can ask your landlord to do the following things under the Equality Act: 

  • remove, replace or provide any furniture, furnishings, materials or equipment, as long as it would not become a permanent fixture when installed
  • replace or provide signs or notices
  • replace taps or door handles
  • replace, provide or adapt your door bell or door entry system
  • change the colour of any surface – for example; a wall or a door
  • changing practices, policies and procedures – for example; allowing an assistance dog in a place that normally doesn't allow pets
  • See the Citizen's Advice Bureau guide on Discrimination in Housing for more information

Adaptations for children or young people under 18

To find out if you can claim Disabled Facilities Grant for adaptations for the benefit of a child or young person under the age of 18 living in the house, then you will need to contact Community Occupational Therapy for an assessment:

 Request an occupational therapy assessment for yourself

Refer someone else for an occupational therapy assessment