Personal assistants

A personal assistant supports their employer with a wide range of tasks, helping to increase their independence and make a real difference to their quality of life.

A personal assistant is usually employed by people who are directing their own care through a direct payment or personal budgets from the council, or are funding their own support.

This is about you having control over your own life, by employing your own staff and organising your own services.

These types of employers are often referred to as ‘individual employers’.

Individual employers have employer’s liability insurance and where necessary are registered with HMRC. Individual employers should also offer the necessary training to do the duties required.

Personal assistants can be employed directly by one employer, can work for a number of different people or could be self employed.

What does the role of a personal assistant involve?

The job can be very flexible, offering part-time and full-time work on different days and at different times.

Some people become a personal assistant part-time whilst also working in an entirely different job.

Duties can include:

  • Personal care, including assistance with feeding, bathing, and toileting if required
  • Taking food, refreshment and medication
  • Mobility
  • Bed making
  • Monitoring and recording temperature, pulse, respiration etc.
  • Healthcare tasks such as dressings, catheter management, administration of medication
  • Support to assist with living independently as far as possible, including assistance as necessary with meal preparation, cooking, cleaning and domestic activities, shopping, social and leisure activities, generally assisting with overall comfort and well being
  • Supporting the person while at work
  • Helping to look after children and pets
  • Supporting the person in their chosen activities such as shopping, meeting friends, going on holiday or gaining education.​

How would I go about employing a personal assistant?

You can make a private arrangement with someone yourself.

If you would like advice from the council, please contact adult social care to arrange an assessment or a care review if you already have a care package from adult social care.

How to request an assessment or review