Paying for care in your own home

​Care in your own home is also known as community-based care.

North Northamptonshire

 Find out about paying for care in your own home in North Northamptonshire.

West Northamptonshire 

There are 3 types of community-based care

​Type of community-based care​Description of the service

Home care services

This service aims to help people who live in their own home, who need help with daily living tasks such as getting in and out of bed, washing, dressing or going to the toilet or accessing the community. Care in your own home is often referred to as either 'domiciliary' or 'home care'.

Find out more about home care services.

​Direct payments or personal budget​ A personal budget is an allowance of money from the council that you can use to buy services to meet your eligible care and support needs that are not being met. When you receive a personal budget, you can decide to:
  • manage it yourself by getting direct payments
  • have it managed by the council, or
  • have it managed by your chosen service or care provider

Find out more about direct payments and personal budgets.

​Day centres​Day centres are designed for adults who can no longer live independently, or who are isolated and lonely. They enable service users to socialize with others, while still receiving needed care services. At the same time, they offer care-givers a break from care-giving duties, while knowing that their loved ones are in good hands.

How the financial assessment process works

As of April 2014 Northamptonshire County Council applied a new policy called the Fair Contributions Policy for community based care. This means that customers requiring care are financially assessed and expected to contribute towards their care costs, where they are able to.

The financial assessment will take into account your income and savings, as well as expenses associated with disabilities and/or your housing situation.

Protected income

We will ensure that you are left with enough money to live on after paying your contribution. This is known as protected income and is based on the government advised amount that a person needs to live on plus an additional 25%.

We would expect you to use your protected income to cover everyday living costs such as:

  • food
  • drink
  • board and lodge
  • hairdressing and hygiene
  • bedding
  • clothes
  • spectacles
  • dentistry
  • alternative therapies or treatments
  • prescription items
  • insurances including building, contents, mortgage protection, life
  • utility bills such as water, gas, electricity and telephone
  • domestic cleaners, gardening, other than basic gardening costs allowable as disability-related expenses, and window cleaners
  • transport costs
  • TV licence and subscriptions to satellite or digital TV companies
  • repairs and maintenance of buildings
  • other expenditure such as personal debts and arrears

This list is not exhaustive.

Disability related expenditure

The protected income will not need to cover expenses you may have that are related to a disability, illness or physical or mental frailness - these are known as disability related expenditure (DRE) and allowances may be made within the financial assessment for these.

Examples of disability related expenditure items that will be considered in the financial assessment are:

  • payment for any community alarm system (after deducting Housing Benefit or Supporting People grant)
  • costs of any privately arranged care services required, including respite care
  • costs of any speciality items caused by disability, such as, but not limited to:
    • specialist washing powders or laundry costs
    • additional costs of special dietary needs due to illness or disability etc.
  • special clothing or footwear, for example, where this needs to be specially made, or where there is additional wear and tear caused by disability
  • additional costs of bedding, for example, because of incontinence
  • additional heating costs, or metered costs of water, above the average levels for the area and housing type, required by age, medical condition or disability
  • reasonable costs of basic garden maintenance, cleaning or domestic help, if needed due to the individual's disability and not met by social services
  • purchase, maintenance, and repair of disability-related equipment, including equipment or transport needed to access or remain in employment; this may include computer costs and reasonable hire costs of equipment if waiting for supply of equipment from the local council
  • personal assistance costs including any household or other necessary costs
  • other transport costs incurred by illness or disability, including cost of transport to day centre, over and above the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, if in payment and not already provided by the local authority
  • contributions made to an Independent living fund. Additionally, the council may make allowances for housing related costs such as mortgage payments and Council Tax demands

What we will tell you

Once we have completed your financial assessment, we will confirm the weekly contribution you are expected to pay towards your care costs. The method of payment will be agreed with you as part of the process. The preferred method of payment is direct debit.

Find out more

View print version of paying for care in your home:

Download the fees and charges policy document:

Request an assessment or review from adult social services

We can give you information, advice and guidance to help you remain independent. Where you may require additional help we can assess you to see if you have eligible needs or to review your current care package.

How to request an assessment or review