Northamptonshire’s Archaeological Resource Centre
The Northamptonshire Archaeological Resource Centre (NARC) at Chester Farm, Irchester is currently in the process of being constructed and is due to be open in 2020.
Once completed, NARC will function as the primary publically accessible repository for archives deriving from all archaeological fieldwork taking place within Northamptonshire. The NARC will hold over 15,000 boxes of artefacts within its stores and it is expected more archives will be deposited every month from recent and future fieldwork.
The NARC will enable:
- Public access to researchers to study the artefacts and documentary archives relating to fieldwork undertaken in Northamptonshire
- The ability for museums and other heritage organisations to loan material for temporary and long-term exhibitions
- Northamptonshire’s rich archaeological heritage to receive suitable curatorial care
All archives deposited with NARC must be prepared to Northamptonshire Archaeological Archive Standard (2020) prior to deposition. It is strongly encouraged that project archaeologists read these guidelines from the start of the project to ensure that archaeological archives are properly considered and resourced.
The NARC has a per box charge for the deposition of new archaeological archives. This charge is in order to cover the administration costs, to ensure the long-term future of NARC as an archaeological archive repository and the safe preservation of all collections held.
These charges are the following:
- Material deriving from fieldwork taking place before January 2014: Free of charge
- Material deriving from fieldwork taking place between January 2014 and March 2019: £20 per box + VAT
- Material deriving from fieldwork taking place from April 2020 onwards: £120 per box + VAT
Please see the archive standards for additional box and preparation requirements:
If you have any enquiries about the archives we hold or wish to arrange a visit or deposition then please contact the NARC Curator Ben Donnelly-Symes.
Telephone: 07912 891699