License your venue

You will need a licence if you would like your venue to be approved for civil marriages and civil partnerships.

An approved venue licence is valid for 3 years.

How to apply to become an approved venue

Before completing the application form please contact us to arrange a pre-licensing visit free of charge, so that we are able to offer advice:

For venues in North Northamptonshire Council's jurisdiction please email

For venues in West Northamptonshire Council's jurisdiction please email

Application form

Please send completed forms to the following address:

West Northamptonshire Council
Registration Service
One Angel Square
Angel Street

North Northamptonshire Council
Registration Service
Haylock House
Kettering Parkway
NN15 6EY

For venues in North Northamptonshire Council's jurisdiction please email

For venues in West Northamptonshire Council's jurisdiction please email

The application must be made by the proprietor or trustee of the premises. If successful, the applicant will be the holder of the approval.

'Premises' are defined as a permanently immovable structure comprising at least a room, or any boat or other vessel which is permanently moored. The primary use of the premises must not be such as to render it unsuitable for the solemnisation of marriages or formation of civil partnerships, demean marriage or civil partnerships or bring it into disrepute.

Marriages and civil partnerships must take place in readily identifiable and regularly available premises. This will preclude marriages or civil partnerships from taking place in most forms of transport; or, normally, in a private house.

Marriages can now take place at a licenced venue in the open air, a tent or temporary marquee as a specified 'linked area' in conjunction with the licenced premise.

Please attach 3 copies of a plan of the premises (showing the room(s) in which it is intended that marriages or civil partnerships will take place, interview rooms and access points) together with the appropriate fire risk assessment and a copy of the Premise Licence as required under the Licensing Act 2003.

You should consult the planning authority as to whether planning consent is required and attach evidence that the planning authority is content that the premises may be used for the solemnisation of marriages and civil partnerships.

A non-returnable fee, in the form of a cheque made payable to either West Northamptonshire Council or North Northamptonshire Council, must accompany the application form. The fee applies to an unlimited number of rooms within the licence.

See our Registration Service fees for more detail.

The premises will be inspected for suitability before approval is granted and may be subject to further inspections during the three year period of approval.

Public notice of the application will be given by the county council in the form of an announcement on our website under the heading "Public Notice of Applications to Become or Renew an Approved Venue Licence", with a period of 21 days for objections to be lodged.

If the requirements and conditions are met, and any objections received are resolved or rejected, the premises will be approved for the purpose for a period of three years subject to further inspections and possible revocation if the requirements and conditions do not continue to be met.


Adding or removing rooms to an existing approved venue licence

To make alterations to your licence please contact Northamptonshire Registration Service.

Renewing your licence

We will contact you in advance of your licence expiry date to let you know when you need to renew it.