Licensing and registration

Licenses, certificates and registrations

​We issue licences, certificates and registrations which cover the following:

​Petroleum Storage Certificates

Renew your Petroleum Storage Certificate online

Northamptonshire Trading Standards is the petroleum enforcing authority (PEA) for Northamptonshire and is responsible for ensuring that those who keep and dispense petrol do not cause risk to the public or the environment.

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 are in force as of 1 October 2014 and replace the petroleum licensing system with the Petroleum Storage Certificate (PSC). Any petroleum licence which expires after 1 October 2014 will be deemed to be a PSC under the new regulations.

New certificates will be issued as licences expire. Certificates are issued for the premises where the petrol is stored and dispensed, with no reference to person or company (previously known as licencees). Certificates do not have an expiry date and remain in force until either major changes take place or the site ceases to operate for more than 12 months.

The keeper of the fuel must pay an annual fee which is calculated according to the maximum litreage of petrol stored at the site. The keeper can choose to pay for up to ten years in advance.

Fees are set by the Health and Safety Fees regulations and are subject to review.

For further details and all other petrol related enquiries please contact

Petroleum - Domestic and non-workplace storage

Petrol is highly flammable, explosive and toxic and there are laws that you need to follow if you are storing it.

The regulations have provision for licensing domestic and non-workplace petrol storage where it is kept for private use only.

A person may keep up to 30 litres of petrol in suitable portable containers or in a single demountable fuel tank in a suitable storage place (see Schedule 2 of the Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 for further details).

A person keeping over 30 litres and less than 275 litres must notify the authority in writing with the name of the occupier, address of the premises and confirmation that the petrol is stored in accordance with regulations.

A person keeping in excess of 275 litres will require a licence. Licences may be issued for up to three years and subsequently renewed. They are issued to the licensee personally and are not transferable.

For further details and all other petrol related enquiries please contact 

​Renew or apply for your explosives licence online​

If it is your intention to store and supply any explosives it may be necessary for you to have a licence to do so. This includes the storage of fireworks, ammunition & shooters powders, car air bags and seatbelt pre-tensioners, party poppers and other pyrotechnic articles.

The Explosives Regulations 2014 require you to:

  • take appropriate measures to prevent fire and explosion, to limit the extent of fire and explosion and protect persons from the effects of fire and explosion
  • take all appropriate precautions for preventing unauthorised persons having access to the explosives or the places where they are stored

It is the responsibility of the licensee to ensure they are aware of, and comply with the Explosives Regulations 2014 and that you satisfy the specified separation distances.

Further guidance is available at HSE: Explosive Regulations 2014.

A licence issued under the Fireworks Regulations 2014 allows you to store explosives and supply them. Fireworks however can only be supplied or exposed for supply at certain times of the year. 

The specified times are:

  • from 15 October to 10 November
  • from 26 to 31 December
  • on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately preceding this
  • on the first day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding this

If you wish to supply fireworks outside of these times you must apply for an additional licence under the Fireworks Regulations 2004.

The Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 require a risk assessment to be carried out for the storage of explosives. If you have 5 or more employees the risk assessment must be recorded.

Guidance on risk assessments is available at HSE Risk Management FAQs.

If you intend to renew an existing licence you will receive a renewal letter with instructions and an application form. The form must be completed each time you renew.

Fees are set by the Explosives Regulations 2014 and are subject to review.

​The Animal Feed (Hygiene, Sampling, etc. and Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2015 require feed and some food businesses to register with Trading Standards.

If your business carries out any of the following, then it is likely that the legislation applies to you and you should be registered:

  • manufacturing animal feeds
  • marketing animal feeds
  • importing animal feeds
  • storing animal feeds
  • transporting animal feeds and grain
  • selling co-products of the food industry as feeds
  • carrying out on-farm mixing
  • feeding food-producing animals
  • growing crops to be used as animal feeds
  • carrying out other controlled activities
  • there is no cost to register


Apply online for an animal feed registration number (farms only)


If you need an animal feed registration number, please email us on and we will send you an application form.

Please note that the law changed on 1 October 2018 to The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018. The new legislation can be seen here.

It is now the responsibility of the local district councils to license certain types of activities involving animals, including their use in performances and exhibitions. If you wish to keep or train animals to exhibit, you will need to apply in writing to your local District or Borough Council for a licence.

This includes educational or entertainment purposes, as part of a business, to any audience attending in person, or recording visual images of them by any form of technology that enables the display of such images.

If you are already registered with Northamptonshire Trading Standards under the Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925 this registration will expire on 31 March 2019. You will then need to register with the appropriate district or borough council.

  • Borough of Wellingborough Council
  • Corby Borough Council
  • East Northamptonshire District Council
  • Kettering Borough Council

For all of the above contact the Central Licensing Administration Unit on 01832 742 102 or email


Any other licences

For all enquiries relating to any other licences please use the links below to contact your local district or borough council: