The Northampton branch of Mencap provides support and activities for young people and adults with learning disabilities. It has a purpose-built centre in Far Cotton, which is all on ground level and is fully-accessible for wheelchair users. It is situated in the beautiful grounds of Delapre Abbey.
Monday Club (For Ages 18+)
Held every Monday (7pm-9pm)
Activities include a pool tournament in the games room, and cricket, curling, or go-karting in the main hall. Jigsaws, colouring, books, and crafts are available in the refectory. Cricket or bowls are played on the green in the summer. At 8pm, tea and biscuits are provided, and the tuck shop opens. The volunteers draw their raffle on Mondays, and proceeds are used for activities and parties. After the break they play games such as hangman and bingo.
Wednesday Club (For Ages 18+)
Held every Wednesday (7pm-9pm)
Wednesdays tend to be livelier than Mondays. Visitors can either play basketball, hockey, badminton, or pool. For those that want a quieter evening, volunteers do provide crafts throughout the evening, and people can catch up with their friends whilst listening to music.
Friday Club (For Ages 18+)
Held fortnightly (7pm-9pm)
This is a smaller group who enjoy activities such as going to the local pub in Far Cotton (the Golden Horse), Ten-pin bowling, arts and crafts, music and cookery, as well as bingo and quizzes. It provides an opportunity for visitors to meet with each other and socialize. There is always laughter and singing on the bus journey home!
Please note: Whilst affiliated to national charity, Northampton Mencap are an independent charity and are therefore responsible for raising their own funds.
If you are interested in attending one of the clubs, or would like more information on becoming a volunteer, please contact Muriel on 01604 874710 or via email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Northampton Mencap is a registered (charity no. 208974).
- British Institute of Human Rights - Learning Disability, Autism, and Human Rights - Easy Read (PDF 3.26MB)
- Cerebra - Learning Disabilities, Autism, and Internet Safety: A Guide for Parents (Link)
- Contact - Parent Guide: DLA - Claiming the Higher Rate Mobility Component for Learning Disabilities or ASD (PDF 228KB)
- Derby Teaching Hospitals – Having a CT Scan, Learning Disabilities Version (Video)
- DfE & Mencap - Changes to Special Educational Needs and Disability Support (Easy Read) (Link)
- Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities - An Easy Read Guide to Staying Safe on Social Media and Online (Link)
- Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities - An Easy Read Guide to Staying Safe Out and About (Link)
- Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities - Moving On: An Easy Read Guide for Pupils with Special Educational Needs Moving On to Secondary School (Link)
- Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities - Thinking Ahead: A Planning Guide for Families (Link)
- Learning Disability Partnership Board - Hate Crime Awareness: Cyber Bullying (Video)
- Learning Disability Partnership Board - Hate Crime Awareness: Hate Crime in the Courtyard (Video)
- Learning Disability Partnership Board - Hate Crime Awareness: Office Bullying (Video)
- Learning Disability Partnership Board - Hate Crime Awareness: Park Robbers (Video)
- Learning Disability Partnership Board and Safeguarding Adults Board - Safeguarding Adults with Learning Disabilities, Easy Read (PDF 500KB)
- Mencap - Annual Health Checks, Easy Read (PDF 2.8MB)
- Mencap - Ben’s Work Experience in the Restaurant (Video)
- Mencap - Care and Treatment Reviews (CTRs): An Overview (PDF 41KB)
- Mencap - Clare Wants to Live Independently (Video)
- Mencap - Communicating with People with a Learning Disability (PDF 392.2KB)
- Mencap - Finding a Job, Easy Read (PDF 684KB)
- Mencap - Going to the Chemist (Video)
- Mencap - Going to the Dentist (Video)
- Mencap - Going to the Doctor (Video)
- Mencap - Going to the Optician (Video)
- Mencap - Josie Loves Working on Reception (Video)
- Mencap - Leisure (Video)
- Mencap - Protecting Their Future (Video)
- Mencap - Supported Living (Video)
- Mencap - With Good Friends, You Can’t Lose (Video)
- Mencap - Your Rights If You Are in an Assessment and Treatment Unit, Easy Read (PDF 5.5MB)
- Mencap - Your Rights When You Are Living in the Community, Easy Read (PDF 3.8MB)
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) - Learning Disabilities and Behaviour That Challenges: Service Design and Delivery (Link)
- NCC Local Offer - Learning Disability Information Pack (PDF 554KB)
- NHS - Annual Health Checks for People with Learning Disabilities (Link)
- NHS - Learning Disabilities (Link)
- WWCIH - How Do I Prepare My Child with a Learning Disability for Using Healthcare Services? (Video)