School Travel Assistance for Pupils With an EHC Plan - NNC and WNC

Type of service:
Local Government Department
One Angel Square, Angel Street, Northampton, Northamptonshire NN1 1ED
Telephone number:
0300 126 7000
Service description:

Your child may be eligible to receive travel assistance if they are 16 years old or younger and have an Education, Health, and Care (EHC) Plan.

The Local Offer aims to provide information for parents about school transport for pupils with EHC Plans. However, responsibility for the statutory process of 'home-to-school transport' lies with the Travel Team, and detailed advice should be taken from them and their webpages.

Travel Co-ordination Unit (TCU)

The TCU is responsible for travel solutions between home and school for children and young people with special educational needs and / or disabilities (SEND). The department covers both North and West Northamptonshire. Their email address is

The TCU aims to increase choice and better meet the diverse needs of the county’s pupils with SEND. It will do this by offering a broader, more flexible, range of assistance options, and promote independent travel wherever possible so that young people are able to lead independent lives.

This process will only apply to children 16 years old or younger who are issued with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan. Applying through the TCU is the only way for travel assistance applications to be considered. Once applications are received, the TCU will then be responsible for reviewing and processing them together with any checks that are required.


Below are some of the criteria which may mean your child is eligible for assistance:

  • They have an EHC Plan.
  • The school named in the EHC plan of your child or young person is the nearest suitable school, as determined by the Local Authority.
  • The school your child or young person attends is beyond the statutory walking distance.
  • The child or young person has a physical or learning disability, such that they are unable to walk to school.
  • Either you or your partner are disabled, such that you are unable to accompany your child to school.

For more details, please read the home-to-school transport policy:

Applying for Travel Assistance

Normally, it can take up to 30 working days from receipt of an application to a travel solution being agreed and arranged – it can take longer if we need additional information.

Requests for travel assistance to commence at the beginning of the new academic year (September) should be submitted to the TCU before the end of May for consideration and planning.

While they endeavour to process all applications received as quickly as possible, the TCU cannot guarantee that travel assistance will be in place at the beginning of the new school year for any application received after this date. Travel solutions for the new academic year will not be communicated to the applicants until mid-August.

The TCU will look at the information you provide and make a decision on what support is necessary. They may need to call or arrange a home visit if they need more information.

Change of School

If you have received an EHC Plan that names a new education setting in Section 1, you must submit a new application for travel assistance.

Any current travel arrangements for pupils transitioning from primary school to secondary school (academic year 6 to year 7) but remaining at the same school, will not automatically be renewed. In this situation, a new application form must be submitted to the TCU for consideration.

Change of Home Address

You can use this online form to tell the TCU about a change of home address. 

You must also make sure that the relevent EHC team has been notified of this change of address so that the EHC Plan is updated.

Related Documents:

Contact provider for cost details
Age range:
4 years - 16 years
Eligibility criteria:
  • Age - Early Years (0-5)
  • Age - School (5-18)
Referral route:
  • Contact service direct
  • No referral needed
Last updated on:
Location map: