Post-16 School Travel Assistance - NNC and WNC

Type of service:
Local Government Department
One Angel Square, Angel Street, Northampton, Northamptonshire NN1 1ED
Telephone number:
0300 126 7000
Service description:

If you are a student over the age of 16 and in full-time education, the local authority may be able to provide assistance with transport.

You may qualify for school travel assistance if you are:

  • Aged 16 to 18 years
  • In full-time education (12 hours or more a week)
  • Living more than 3 miles away from your nearest school or further education (FE) establishment.

How Much Does it Cost?

All students who are entitled to school travel assistance will need to contribute £600 a year towards the costs of their transport. Charges apply to all students whether they are attending:

  • a mainstream school
  • a special school
  • a specialist post-16 education provision
  • an independent (private) school
  • a further education (FE) college
  • any other suitable training establishment

The Only Exceptions Are If:

*You are on a low income

Parents or carers in receipt of one of the following will qualify as low income:

    • Income Support
    • Child entitled to free school meals
    • Income-Based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    • Child Tax Credit - providing they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by the Inland Revenue) that does not exceed £16,190
    • Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
    • Receipt of the maximum level of Working Tax Credit

For 16 to 18 year olds meeting these grounds, the cost will be £300 a year.

*You are on a low income and your child has a special educational need or disability (SEND)

Where parents or carers of a 16 to 18 year old student qualify on the grounds of low income (as listed above) and the young person:

    • Has an Education, Health, and Care (EHC) Plan which necessitates travel assistance
    • Is attending their nearest suitable further education setting (which is named in their EHC Plan)
    • Lives within the administrative boundary of Northamptonshire and more than 3 miles from their nearest suitable educational establishment

In which case, the cost will be free-of-charge.

The local authority will, in the first instance, explore whether a parent or carer will provide transport and be remunerated for their fuel costs, if the student is eligible.

* The young adult learner (aged 19 to 25) has an Education, Health and Care Plan 

Free travel assistance will be provided to a young adult learner (not being a person of sixth form age) where:

    • The local authority has secured the provision of education or training and the provision of boarding accommodation for an adult learner aged under 25
    • They are subject to an EHC Plan
    • It is considered necessary to facilitate that person’s attendance at the place of education or training

Please note that this policy does not relate to young adults who are not in education or training and who do not have an EHC Plan. Information about transport provision for other young adults can be obtained from the Adult Social Services website.

While the local authority would continue to encourage the participation in education and training by those over compulsory school age but under 19 and those aged 19 to 25 with an EHC Plan, young adult learners would be expected to meet the cost of travel between home and the provider at which they are receiving education or training except in the circumstances as above.

Apply for Post-16 School Travel Assistance

The local authority will only transport to educational settings at the beginning and end of a typical academic day.

You can use this online form to give proof of low income or an EHC Plan: Apply for Post-16 School Travel Assistance

Other Transport Support for Post-16 Students

The local authority will also take receipt of 16 to 19 bursary funding into account in assessing an individual’s need for financial help with transport. Where a person receives a benefit to facilitate their mobility needs (e.g. Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance, where this includes the higher rate mobility element) they may explore whether this can be used to support the student's transport needs to and from education or training for which a mileage rate will be paid. Each case will be considered on its own merits.

Partnership Working

The local authority work with key partners to enable access to further education and training courses for 16 to 18 year olds. The following colleges offer support:

Northampton College

Northampton College sell subsidised bus passes to students who are eligible (under 19, more than 3 miles from site of study, on a full-time course).

Students can apply to the bursary for transport support where there is a household income below £26,000 or income based benefits.

The college also sell stagecoach bus passes for use on public bus services. for more information, email

Moulton College

Moulton College operates a comprehensive subsidised transport network throughout Northamptonshire, allowing students access to the main college and all of its out centres.


If an application for travel assistance is declined, parents may appeal by submitting a form to escalate the matter to a Stage One Appeal. For more information, see the Appeals Process.

Related Documents:

Contact provider for cost details
Age range:
0 - 100 years
Eligibility criteria:
  • Age - School (5-18)
  • Age - Adulthood (18-25)
  • Receipt of benefits
  • SEND descriptors
Referral route:
  • Contact service direct
  • No referral needed
Last updated on:
Location map: