Shaw Trust's supported internships are for young people (under the age of 25) with a disability and a current EHC Plan. Work is indoors and outdoors and can be physically demanding. The site is fully accessible for people with physical disabilities, sensory impairments, mild to moderate learning disabilities (MMLD), autism (ASD), or mental health conditions.
Billing Garden Centre is one of several social enterprises that Shaw Trust operates. Known as 'Growing Places,' these small/medium businesses create skills and employment opportunities for people within local communities. Billing Garden Centre will be offering five supported internship placements (starting in September 2021). Shaw Trust's supported internships last around 38 weeks (an academic year). Employment experience will include:
- Horticulture and helping plants to grow
- Retail (including customer service, using the till, and stock control)
- Cleaning and COVID-safe house-keeping
To ensure a successful internship placement, Shaw Trust provide:
- Qualified job coaches (trained to offer resilience support, mentoring, and systematic instruction).
- An NCFE Pearson's EL3 Workskills Award, which includes Applied English and Maths.
- Optional vocational skills courses, including Health & Safety at Work, Fork Lift Truck driving, First Aid, and Staying COVID-19 Safe.
- A quality-assured qualification by Ixion (part of Shaw Trust). Ixion is recognised as an Outstanding Skills Provider.
- A virtual classroom and support with the technical requirements.
- Shaw Trust aim to ensure that over 70% of their interns find paid work at the end.
- Some interns will need Supported Employment, and Shaw Trust will create paid positions for them (based at the site).
- Shaw Trust host parent and young people's forums to generate feedback, which allows them to strengthen and develop their service.
Keep up-to-date by liking Billing Garden Centre's Facebook Page.