Keeping children and young people safe online can be a real challenge at times, technology moves at such a fast pace and is now a growing safeguarding concern. The good news is there's lots of support out there to keep young people safe online and safeguard children and young people from bullying.
What is bullying?
The Anti-Bullying Alliance defines bullying as:
repetitive, intentional hurting of one person or group by another person or group,
where the relationship involves an imbalance of power. Bullying can be physical, verbal or psychological. It can happen face-to-face or through cyberspace.
Anti-Bullying Alliance resources
We have put together some resources with the help of the Anti-Bullying Alliance to help you support young people, children, and parents to develop an anti-bullying approach and
policies in your school or setting.
If you would like more support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Online safety sessions for schools
Northamptonshire County Council has an online safety team that provides the following training and workshops for young people within schools and organisations.
- Staff session – 2 hours on ways to keep young people safe online.
- Parent session – 1 hour aimed at parents and carers on ways to keep young people safe online.
- Young people / student session (5 to 18 years) – 1 hour per session but email us for more information.
- Governor training – 1 hour covering good practice and affective online safety polices.
For more information and costings please email:
What policies and documents should my school or setting have in place?
If you provide children and young people with access to the internet and technologies you should have the following in place:
- Online safety policy – Details the technical infrastructure, filtering provision, safeguarding measures, levels of education and training for staff, parents and pupils.
- Staff acceptable use policy – This document governs staff use of technologies and the internet.
- Online safety audit – All online safety incidents should be logged to provide an audit trail of actions taken and individuals involved.
Access online safety templates
Online safety - supporting information
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram