Attendance and behaviour support for parents

You must ensure your child gets a full-time education that meets their needs.

You should also notify your school if you change your address, otherwise your child may be recorded as missing from education.

The Educational Inclusion and Partnership Team work with all local education providers to improve the attendance of children and young people.

Absence in term time

If your child is ill

You must contact the school on the first day of absence.

Holidays in term time

You have to get permission from the headteacher if you want to take your child out of school during term time.

You can only do this if either applies:

  • you make an application to the headteacher in advance (as a parent the child normally lives with)
  • there are exceptional circumstances

It’s up to the headteacher how many days your child can be away from school if leave is granted.

You can be fined for taking your child on holiday during term time without permission from the headteacher of the school.

An initial fixed penalty notice of £60 is issued to each parent for each child. So a two parent family with two children would be fined £240. For more information see 'Penalty notices for non-school attendance'.

Help with your child’s school attendance

If you are having problems getting your child to attend school please contact the school or use the online form below to contact the Educational Inclusion and Partnership Team (EIPT):

North Northamptonshire Council

North Northamptonshire Council covers the following areas:

  • Kettering
  • Corby
  • East Northants
  • Wellingborough

If the child attends a school in or near one of these areas, please complete the North Northamptonshire form:

Contact the Educational Inclusion and Partnership Team - North Northamptonshire

West Northamptonshire Council

West Northamptonshire Council covers the following areas:

  • Daventry
  • Northampton
  • South Northants

If the child attends a school in or near one of these areas, please complete the West Northamptonshire form:

Contact the Educational Inclusion and Partnership Team - West Northamptonshire

If your child’s attendance doesn’t improve, the school can choose to draw up a parenting contract. If attendance still remains unacceptably low the school will contact the Educational Inclusion and Partnership team who have the power to prosecute parents for not ensuring that their children receive appropriate education at school or otherwise. 

What do I do if I have received a penaly notice?

If you have received a penalty notice for your child's non-attendance at school, you can pay it here.

You can find a guide to the issuing of penalty notices below.

How much do I have to pay?

When you pay​Amount​
​Payment within 21 days
​Payment within 22 days and 28 days

What happens if I don't pay?

If we do not receive payment within 28 days from the issue of the penalty notice you may be prosecuted for the offence of irregular attendance and could be subject to a fine of up to £1,000 on conviction.

How do I pay the penalty charge?

You can pay by credit or debit card using our online payments system:

Make payment

Please note:

  • payment is acceptance of liability
  • you must enter each penalty notice number individually if paying more than one penalty charge.
  • we do not accept payment by instalments
  • there is no right of appeal. Any queries about this notice should be made to the Education Inclusion and Partnership Team whose details are on part 1 on the penalty notice

What do I do if...

If your child is excluded, their school will notify you by letter.

As a parent, you are legally responsible for the supervision of your child during the exclusion period. The law also says that your child should continue his or her education whilst excluded.

Exclusions up to 5 days

The school should set work and you must make suitable arrangements with the school for work to be collected and returned for marking during the initial five day period of the exclusion.

You must ensure that your child stays at home during normal school hours, in the first 5 days of any exclusion.

Your child must not be found in a public place without reasonable justification. It doesn’t matter if the child is with you or another adult.

Failure to comply with this requirement will mean that you are breaking the law. If your child is seen present in a public place you could be issued with a fixed penalty notice of £60 which you must pay within 21 days. If the penalty notice remains unpaid, this might increase to £120. After 28 days, you could be prosecuted and have to appear in court.

This does not apply to lunchtime exclusions.

Exclusions more than 5 days

If the fixed term exclusion is for over 5 days, the school must provide the child with full time education from day six. The head teacher will inform you of the arrangements for this in writing.

If your child has not received this support after 5 days, please contact their school.

What happens when the exclusion period finishes?

The head teacher will invite you and your child to a reintegration interview following each exclusion. They should arrange a time of this interview that is suitable for you.

The interview will normally take place on the day the child returns to school, but this could be shortly before or shortly after your child is due to return to school.

You should do your best to attend the interview but if you cannot attend this does not stop your child returning to school.

The school cannot extend an exclusion period.

What happens if my child is at risk of permanent exclusion?

You can contact the Educational Inclusion and Partnership (EIP) team for advice if your child is at risk of permanent exclusion.

Contact the EIP team

​Only a headteacher can permanently exclude your child from school.

Schools have a legal duty to provide full-time education for any student excluded from school for the first 5 days.

After 5 days, the local authority must provide full-time education. You will be notified of the arrangements.

The governors will meet, usually within 15 school days, to review the headteacher's decision and will decide to either:

  • uphold the exclusion
  • reinstate your child at the school immediately or by a specific date.

The school will invite you to this meeting.

Can I challenge the governors’ decision?

Independent review panel

If the governors uphold the permanent exclusion of your child, you can ask an independent review panel to review the governors’ decision.&

  • You must make your request within 15 school days following written notification of the governors’ decision.
  • You must state the grounds for the request, i.e. state what you think was wrong with the decision or exclusion procedure.
  • Please read the notes below before you complete this form. In the case of academies, you may need to contact the school itself to request an Independent Review.
  • Apply for an independent review panel - guidance notes (PDF 168KB)

Request an independent review

​Elective Home Education is the term used to describe parents’ decisions to provide education for their children at home instead of sending them to school.

Find out how to home school

​A managed move is a formal transfer of a child from one school to another. It only happens when both schools, the child and their parent or carer agree to the move.

It is used to help children to remain in school and successfully complete their education.

It is a temporary arrangement of up to 12 weeks, after which all sides agree whether the transfer should become official.

Current government guidance states that parents should never feel pressured into removing their child from a school under threat of a permanent exclusion.

When should a managed move be set up?

A managed move could be set up if your child has been identified as being at risk of exclusion or has significant attendance issues.

The school will have already tried other strategies to support you and your child but the risk of exclusion or disaffection remains.

When is a managed move not used?

A managed move is not appropriate when:

  • you are seeking a straightforward transfer to another school for your child - see pages on moving school within Northamptonshire
  • the child is not on a school roll
  • the child would be unable to return to the home school if the placement is unsuccessful

Who will be involved in setting up a managed move?

The managed move is co-ordinated by the head teachers of both schools. If both schools agree, a meeting is set up at the proposed school with the senior staff from both schools, the child and the parent or carer and representatives from other agencies who are working directly with the family. Wherever possible the meeting should be held within the normal school working day.

Parents are a crucial part of the success of a managed move and school staff will try to arrange a time when you can attend the meetings.

Should my child come to the meetings?

You will be able to agree with school staff whether your child should be present for the whole meeting or join in towards the end. Generally children at secondary schools attend the whole meeting.

Preparing for a managed move meeting

Try to consider in advance the benefits of your child being in another school and how you may support him or her to make the move a success. It will also be helpful to talk to your child about what you think may be reasonable to expect the school and anyone else involved to commit to during the move. Remind your child that the purpose of the move is to support him or her to make a successful transfer to another school.

What will happen at the first meeting?

At the initial meeting everyone will consider the positive points and main concerns. Everyone present will have the opportunity to have their say and will be expected to offer some positive contribution to the managed move.

Central to the move is support and for any such move to be successful your child will need to make a commitment to meeting key behaviour and/or attendance targets. Everyone will sign the managed move agreement which outlines what is to be done, by whom and when.

How long will the managed move last?   

A managed move can run for up to 12 weeks. The meeting can decide on how long they think is appropriate to allow your child the opportunity to settle into the new school and show progress. A formal review is held at around the half way point with a final review at the end. During this time your child will remain jointly registered with both schools.

How will we know if the plan is working?   

A member of the school staff will normally meet your child regularly to review his or her progress. This will give your child the chance to talk about what has gone well and how to continue to be successful.

The key people who attended the original meeting will be invited to the midterm review and the final review to talk about your child’s progress and attendance, any concerns about the placement, the support in place and any new strategies to help your child settle at the new school.

After the final review if the managed move has been successful, your child will transfer to the new school permanently.

Special educational needs (SEN)   

If your child has identified additional educational needs he or she will continue to have support during the period of the managed move. If your child has an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) the school must liaise with the SEN/EHC Team before any discussions can take place.

What if the managed move is not successful?   

The head teacher of the proposed school can end the move at any time if the managed move is not working. This would mean that your child would normally return to his or her home school. Details of what will happen if the managed move fails will be agreed at the initial meeting.

Admissions applications   

If you have submitted an application to the local authority to change schools, the school admissions team will process your application.

If you have discussed and agreed to a managed move, then you should inform school admissions (in writing) that you have accepted a managed move so that your application can be closed.

If you would like to discuss the managed move process please contact the Educational Inclusion and Partnership (EIP) team:

Contact the EIP team

 Attendance and behaviour support