Home schooling (elective home education)

​We support the rights of parents to educate their child at home.

Where children are educated at home, we work in partnership with parents to ensure the child receives a suitable education that takes into account their age, ability, aptitude and any special educational needs they may have.

What should I do if I want to educate my child at home?

You should inform the head teacher of your child's school in writing. The school are then required to inform us.

If your child is not on a school roll, for example if they have never attended school or have just moved into Northamptonshire, please contact us below:

Parental responsibilities

There is no requirement for parents to follow the national curriculum or to have premises equipped to any particular standard.

However, you must inform the local authority of how you plan to educate your child.

Complete an elective home education plan

Please complete the Home Education Plan form below within 4 weeks of commencing home education:

North Northamptonshire Council

North Northamptonshire Council covers the following areas:

  • Kettering
  • Corby
  • East Northants
  • Wellingborough

If the child resides in or near one of these areas, please complete the North Northamptonshire form:

Submit your home education plan - North Northamptonshire

West Northamptonshire Council

West Northamptonshire Council covers the following areas:

  • Daventry
  • Northampton
  • South Northants

If the child resides in or near one of these areas, please complete the West Northamptonshire form:

Submit your home education plan - West Northamptonshire

Complete an elective home education plan review

Voice of the child

Please use these documents to record the voice of the child.

These documents may not be accessible for people using assistive technology because they have been designed to be printed. Request an accessible format.

Home Education Bulletins

The role of the local authority in elective home education

The local authority must satisfy itself that parents are fulfilling their educational duties to their child. If you don't provide evidence of this, we will make informal enquiries before considering the need for further action.

Where these informal enquiries are not successful and it appears that a child is not receiving a suitable education we may serve a notice on the parent. This notice requires the parent to satisfy the authority that the child is receiving suitable education.

If this order is not complied with within the timescale we will serve a School Attendance Order on the parent naming a school at which the child must attend.

What if the child has special educational needs?

All children can be educated at home regardless of any special educational needs or disability.

DfE statement - February 2021

See the latest DfE press release 25 02 21 ​teacher assessed grades for student - Gov.uk. There will also be a clear and accessible route for private candidates to work with a centre to receive a grade this year, at the same time as other candidates. Exam boards will provide centres with clear guidance on the evidence they can use to assess a private candidate.

A list of available centres will be published shortly and, we are working with the sector to ensure there are sufficient centres available and at a similar cost to a normal year.