Who can apply for a secondary school place?

If you are a parent or carer of a child living in Northamptonshire at the time of your application you can apply for a  secondary school place at the following times:

Secondary school - year 7 intake

You should apply for a place at a secondary school if your child lives in Northamptonshire and has their 11th birthday between 1 September 2020 and 31 August 2021 (year 6 in primary school).

The opening date for applications is 10 September 2020 and the closing date is 5pm on 31 October 2020.

Upper school - year 9 or 10 intake

There are no longer any upper schools in Northamptonshire. However, your child may be living in Northamptonshire and be attending a middle school in another county. If this is the case, you should apply for an upper school place outside of Northamptonshire for your child if they are in their last year  (year 8 or 9) at a middle school outside of Northamptonshire.

The opening date for applications is 10 September 20120 and the closing date is 5pm on 31 October 2020. 

University Technical College (UTC) - year 10 intake

Northamptonshire has one UTC - Silverstone UTC. Applications must be made directly to the UTC, and no longer through the county council. If you wish to apply for a place at a UTC outside of Northamptonshire please check how to make an application with the school directly.

How to apply

Applying for a school place outside the normal transfer times

Any applications to move schools outside of these normal transfer times will be processed as in-year applications.

Please note that we do not allocate an in-year school place more than a month in advance of the date the place is required. Therefore, applications from children wanting a year 9 place at a secondary school (rather than an upper school) will be considered as in-year applications and will not be processed until the summer term. Parents will be informed in writing if a place is available in their preferred primary school. 

Special educational needs

If your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan or a Statement of Special Educational Needs, there are different procedures for obtaining a school place. Please see special educational needs.

Living outside of Northamptonshire

If you live outside of Northamptonshire, you will need to make an application through the local authority for the area in which you live.