Non-entitled (paid for) school travel assistance

​If you are not eligible for free school travel assistance, you can apply to pay for a space.

There is no financial help or reductions available for those who are not eligible for free school travel assistance.

You may be able to get a place on non-entitled school travel assistance if:

  • you pay for it
  • there is a spare space on the service

Spare spaces will be offered on a first come, first served basis.


The Council will guarantee a seat on one of our existing contracted transport services for a student, subject to eligibility, where an application is received on or before the third Friday in May (before the September of the new academic year). If you apply after this date we may not process your application until October half-term.

Make an application

Apply for non-entitled school travel assistance

If you are unsure if your income entitles you to free school travel assistance, you can check on the free school travel assistance page.


You need to apply every year for non-entitled school travel assistance, even if you had a space in the previous year.

What happens after applying?

  1. We will check for a spare space on a service relevant to you. If there isn't a space we will hold onto your application and contact you if a space becomes available.
  2. If there is a suitable spare space, you will receive an email from the School Transport team with a link to pay for school transport (you can pay in full or choose to pay in instalments).
  3. Make a payment.
  4. You will receive a letter, including your travel pass, confirming your school transport details before term begins.
  5. You may lose your space if it is needed for a pupil entitled to free school travel assistance.