Special educational needs travel assistance

​Your child may be eligible to receive travel assistance if they are 16 years old or under and have an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

Travel Co-ordination Unit (TCU)

The TCU is responsible for travel solutions between home and school for children and young people with special educational needs and / or disabilities (SEND).

The TCU will aim to increase choice and better meet the diverse needs of the county’s pupils with SEND. It will do this by offering a broader, more flexible, range of assistance options, and promote independent travel wherever possible so that young people are able to lead independent lives.

Who this applies to

This new process will only apply to children 16 years old or under who are issued with an education health and care (EHC) plan. Applying through the TCU is the only way for travel assistance applications to be considered. Once applications are received, the TCU will then be responsible for reviewing and processing them together with any checks that are required.


Below are some of the criteria which may mean your child is eligible for assistance:

  • They have an EHC plan.
  • The school named in the EHC plan of your child or young person is the nearest suitable school, as determined by the Local Authority.
  • The school your child or young person attends is beyond the statutory walking distance.
  • The child or young person has a physical or learning disability, such that they are unable to walk to school.
  • Either you or your partner are disabled, such that you are unable to accompany your child to school.

For more details, please read our File Download - Home to school transport policy (PDF 233KB)Home to school education transport policy (PDF 266KB).

Applying for travel assistance

It can take up to 30 working days from receipt of an application to a travel solution being agreed and arranged – it can take longer if we need additional information.

With the timescales involved any agreed travel assistance may not be in place ready for the beginning of the new school year in September.

This is a very busy period for the TCU and we will try to process your application as quickly as possible. However, you should make sure that you can get your child to and from school during the period that your application is being processed.

Apply for travel assistance with an EHC plan

We will look at the information you provide and make a decision on what support is necessary. We may need to call or visit you if we need more information.

If a pupil has special educational needs and attends a post-16 setting you will need to apply for post-16 travel assistance.

Changes to current travel assistance with an EHC plan


A change in home address

Tell us of a change in your home address if the child is currently getting travel assistance.

Submit your change of home address


You must also make sure that the EHC team has been notified of this change of address so that the EHC plan is updated.

A change in circumstance that affects your travel assistance

Tell us of a change in circumstance that affects your existing travel assistance.

Submit your change of circumstance