St. James Infant School

​St. James Street
NN11 4AG

Places will first be allocated to children who have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan that names the school as offering appropriate provision.

Oversubscription criteria

When there are more applications for places than there are places available, priority will be given in the following order:

  1. Looked after children and previously looked after children
  2. Children who live in Dodford or Norton
  3. Children with a brother or sister (sibling) continuing at the school or the linked Junior school (The Abbey CE Academy) at the time of admission of the child (see note below)
  4. Children who live closer to the school than any other school
  5. Other children

Allocation to published admission number (PAN)

If the admission number is exceeded within criterion 2 or 4, priority will be given to those who live furthest from their nearest alternative school. If the admission number is exceeded within any other criterion, priority will be given to those who live closest to the school. Distances are measured on a straight line basis from the address point of the child’s home address to the address point of the school using NCC’s geographical information system.


If two or more applications cannot otherwise be separated and there is only one place available, a random allocation process will be used to determine who should be allocated the place.


Siblings are defined in these arrangements as children who live as brother or sister at the same permanent address, including natural brothers or sisters, adopted siblings, stepbrothers or sisters and foster brothers and sisters. Cousins are not regarded as siblings for the purpose of school admissions.

Home address (child’s)

The child’s home address is defined as the address at which the child normally resides with their parent or carer at the time of application. If a child lives with parents who are separated, the home address will be treated as the place where the child sleeps for most of the school week (i.e. Sunday night to Thursday night inclusive).

If the child spends equal amounts of time at two addresses, the parents must agree which address they wish to be the child’s main address before we can process the application. Documentary evidence of ownership or rental agreement may be required together with proof of actual permanent residence at the property concerned.