Places will be allocated to pupils who have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan that names the school as appropriate provision.
When there are more applications for places than there are places available, priority will be given in the following order:
- Looked after children and previously looked after children
- Children with an older brother or sister continuing at the school at the time of admission of the younger child
- Children who live closer to the school than any other school
- Other children
If the published admission number (PAN) is exceeded within criterion 3 priority will be given to those who live furthest from the nearest alternative school. If the PAN is exceeded within any other criterion, priority will be given to those who live closest to the school.
Distances are measured on a straight line basis from the address point of the child’s home address to the address point of the school using NCC’s geographical information system.
A sibling is defined as a child’s brother or sister. A sibling must be living at the same permanent address and as part of the same family unit (one or two parents plus children) to qualify under this criterion. For School Admissions purposes, the term sibling includes:
- half-brothers and half-sisters
- step-brothers and step-sisters
- adopted children
- children in foster care
- children living in the same family unit, even if they are not biological brothers and sisters – for example when the parents are not married or in a civil relationship
Cousins are not regarded as siblings.
Home address (child’s)
The child’s home address is defined as the address at which the child normally resides with their parent or carer at the time of application. If a child lives with parents who are separated, the home address will be treated as the place where the child sleeps for most of the school week (i.e. Sunday night to Thursday night inclusive). If the child spends equal amounts of time at two addresses, the parents must agree which address they wish to be the child’s main address before we can process the application.
Documentary evidence of ownership or rental agreement may be required together with proof of actual permanent residence at the property concerned.