The Bliss Charity School

The Green
Nether Heyford

Places will first be allocated to children who have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan that names the school as offering the appropriate provision.

Oversubscription criteria

When there are more applications for places than there are places available, priority will be given in the following order:

  1. Looked after children and all previously looked after children
  2. Children with specific medical and or social needs, supported by written evidence from an appropriate professional person (see note below)
  3. Children living in Upper Heyford and Nether Heyford
  4. Children with an older sibling continuing at the school at the planned start date of the younger child (see definition below)
  5. Other children

If the admission number is exceeded within any criterion, priority will be given to those who live closest to the school. Distances are measured on a straight line basis from the address point of the child’s home address to the address point of the school.


If two or more applications cannot otherwise be separated and there is only one place available, a random allocation process will be used to determine who should be allocated the place.

Medical or social grounds

The Governors will admit pupils on medical or social grounds, where professionals have clearly identified that the school will best meet the needs of the pupils. Documentary evidence from appropriate professionals within the health or social care services should be provided to the school no later than 15 January. In each case there must be a clear connection between the child’s need and The Bliss Charity School, and an explanation of the difficulties that would be caused if the child were to attend another school. This information will be considered by the School’s own admission team and will be treated confidentially.


A sibling is defined as a child’s brother or sister. A sibling must be living at the same permanent address and as part of the same family unit (one or two parents plus children) to qualify under this criterion. For School Admissions purposes, the term sibling includes:

  • half-brothers and half-sisters
  • step-brothers and step-sisters
  • adopted children
  • children in foster care
  • children living in the same family unit, even if they are not biological brothers and sisters – for example when the parents are not married/in a civil relationship

Cousins are not regarded as siblings.

Twins and multiple births

In the case of twins or other siblings from a multiple birth, if the last child to be admitted is from a multiple birth group, the applications will be considered together as one application, meaning we will offer places to all children in the group, even if it means exceeding the published admission number. In the case of siblings (see definition above) in the same year group, where there is only one place remaining, these too will be considered as one application.

Child’s address

The child’s home address is defined as the address at which the child normally resides with their parent/carer at the time of application. If a child lives with parents who are separated, the home address will be treated as the place where the child sleeps for most of the school week (i.e. Sunday night to Thursday night inclusive). If the child spends equal amounts of time at two addresses, the parents must agree which address they wish to be the child’s main address before we can process the application.

When we refer to a child’s home address, we mean the permanent residence of the child. This address must be the child’s only or main residence that is either:

  • Owned by the child’s parent, parents or carer
  • Leased to or rented by the child’s parent, parents or carer under a lease or written rental agreement of not less than six months’ duration. The property leased should be that in which the family lives.

If a parent is living at a different address when their child’s place is required, and they would like the new address to be considered as their child's place of residence when the application is considered, then written evidence confirming the move will be required before considering any application for a place. The school will expect to see either a letter from the parent’s solicitors confirming exchange of contracts (in the case of the purchase) or written confirmation from their landlord that a tenancy has been granted and in either case that the move will be completed on or before the date the place is required. An official document such as the electoral roll may also be used to check addresses.