Billing Road, Northampton NN1 5RT
Oversubscription admission criteria
ALL students who seek a place at the school under ANY criteria MUST complete an NSB Supplementary Information Form and submit it to the school by 5.00 pm on Saturday 31st October 2020, AS WELL AS submitting the Local Authority Application Form to the Local Authority by 5.00 pm on Saturday 31st October 2020.
Children with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan will be admitted to the school where the school – after consultation with the Local Authority – has been named on the EHC plan as an appropriate provision.
If the school is oversubscribed, places are allocated using the following oversubscription criteria in the following order:
- All Looked After Children (LAC) and Previously Looked After Children (PLAC)
- Aptitude – 10% of places are awarded to boys with a demonstrated particular aptitude for Music and/or Technology, approximately half in each specialism. Parents wishing to give their son the opportunity to take up one of these 21 reserved places MUST sit one or both of these aptitude tests before the application deadline. Parents will receive information about the outcome of the test before the closing date for secondary applications on 31 October so as to support them in making an informed choice of school. There will be no further test days after the application deadline.
- Children of staff directly employed by Northampton School for Boys where either the member of staff has been employed at the school for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission to the school is made, and/or the member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage.
- Sibling Link – where an elder brother/sister, living at the same address, are on roll and attending the school on the closing date for applications (31 October). For the purposes of this criterion, ‘sibling’ is taken to include a step-brother/sister, half-brother/sister, or child who is adopted or fostered, in all cases providing they are living at the same address. Parents applying under this criterion will be required to provide evidence of the address:
- The remaining places are allocated using a system of Norm Referenced Banding as described in the DfE School Admissions Code. ALL applicants to the school will take the same Common Ability test. The test will be used to place ALL applicants into five equal sized ability bands. An equal number of applicants will be selected fairly from each band using an approved process overseen by an independent third party.
Banding and aptitude
Criteria 1, 2, 3, 4 will be applied strictly in the order stated above. Children allocated places under these criteria will also be included in the bands. These children will be allocated places from the bands first, before Criterion 5 is then finally applied. The total number admitted from each band will be equal. Selection by criterion 5 will be in line with the explanatory notes in Appendix C. Where in any criterion the number of applicants exceeds the number of places available in a band, a process of random allocation will be applied. Such process will be overseen by an independent third party.
Students who wish to have the opportunity of gaining a place under the Aptitude criterion MUST attend the Aptitude test days which occur prior to the deadline for completing the NSB supplementary information form. There will be no further opportunity to be tested for aptitude after these dates. You must book a test time online to be able to sit the Aptitude Test/s. Please visit the school’s website for more information and to book.
The Technology Aptitude test will take place on Saturday 10th October 2020
The Music Aptitude test will take place on Monday 19th October 2020
All applicants will be required to attend on the morning of Saturday 14th November 2020 in order to sit a Common Ability Test, the results of which will be used to both operate the banding system fairly and to provide valuable management information used for setting purposes.
Twins or other multiple births
In the case of twins or other multiple births from the same household, if, when applying the oversubscription criteria, one twin or multiple birth is offered a place and the other is not, then a place will be offered to the other twin or multiple birth sibling above the Published Admission Number. If the qualifying sibling withdraws, then the second place (or places) will be forfeited.