Northampton School for Boys, Billing Road, Northampton NN1 5RT
All students who seek a place at the school under any of the criteria (1 to 5) below must complete an NSB 'Supplementary information form' and submit it to the school by 5pm on Thursday 31 October 2019, as well as submitting the 'Local Authority Application Form' to the local authority by 5pm on Thursday 31 October 2019.
Students who wish to have the opportunity of gaining a place under the Aptitude criterion must attend the Aptitude test days which occur prior to the deadline for completing the NSB supplementary information form. There will be no further opportunity to be tested for aptitude after these dates. The Technology Aptitude test will take place on Saturday 12 October 2019 and the music aptitude test will take place on Monday 21 October 2019.
All applicants will be required to attend on the morning of Saturday 16 November 2019 in order to sit a Common Ability Test, the results of which will be used to both operate the banding system fairly and to provide valuable management information used for setting purposes. For details of the operation of the banding system see Appendix C of the admissions policy on the school website.
Children with an education, health and care plan (EHC plan) will be admitted to the school where the school – after consultation with the Local Authority – has been named on the EHC plan as an appropriate provision.
- All looked after children (LAC) and previously looked after children (PLAC).
- Aptitude – 10% of places are awarded to boys with a demonstrated particular aptitude for music and / or technology, approximately half in each specialism.
- Children of staff directly employed by Northampton School for Boys where either or both of the following conditions are met:
- Where the member of staff has been employed at the school for two or more years at the time at which the application for admission to the school is made.
- The member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage.
- Sibling Link – where an elder brother or sister, living at the same address, are on roll and attending the school at the point of application (31 October 2019).
- The remaining places are allocated using a system of Norm Referenced Banding as described in the DfE School Admissions Code.
All applicants to the school will take the same Common Ability test. The test will be used to place all applicants into five equal sized ability bands. An equal number of applicants will be selected fairly from each band using an approved process overseen by an independent third party.
Note: Criteria 1, 2, 3, 4 will be applied strictly in the order stated above. Children allocated places under these criteria will also be included in the bands. These children will be allocated places from the bands first, before Criterion 5 is then finally applied. The total number admitted from each band will be equal.
Selection by criterion 5 will be in line with the explanatory notes in Appendix C. Where in any criterion the number of applicants exceeds the number of places available in a band, a process of random allocation will be applied. Such process will be overseen by an independent third party.
Twins or other multiple births
In the case of twins or other multiple births from the same household, if, when applying the oversubscription criteria, one twin or multiple birth is offered a place and the other is not, then a place will be offered to the other twin or multiple birth sibling above the Published Admission Number of 210. If the qualifying sibling withdraws, then the second place (or places) will be forfeited.