What happens after year 13?

You have lots of choices after year 13 including further education, such as apprenticeships or university or you could go into the world of work.

Apply for university

There are hundreds of courses that you could take up based on your interests and hobbies.

Search the UCAS database to see the kind of things that are on offer.

A degree may help you earn more later in life and achieve at a high level; however, at the age of 18, you might have to pay your course fees as well as pay for books, other equipment and living expenses. It is important to plan your finances and research the financial support you could receive.

How do I choose a university?

  • Student Room is a forum where students can share knowledge on universities, courses, study help and careers.
  • WhatUni compares the best universities and course reviews.
  • Aimhigher Northamptonshire can help you experience what it's like to be in higher education.

How can I pay for university?

Student loans and maintenance grants

You are able to apply for a student loan each year you are at college or university. This is in the form of a loan that you will pay back once you are earning a certain salary in full-time employment.

The main student finance package includes:

  • A tuition fee loan
  • A maintenance loan - full-time students only

If your household income is below a certain amount, you may also be able to receive a maintenance grant. This could cover the cost of things like accommodation and food. The maintenance grant does not need to be paid back.

GOV.UK  has more information about student finance.

Bursaries and scholarships

Bursaries and scholarships are another type of financial help that do not have to be paid back. Some are guaranteed and are based on your personal circumstances whilst others are available through open competition.

Study higher education at a local college

You can also study higher education qualifications and access higher education courses at a local further education college. You will still have to pay a fee, but you may be entitled to support.      

The main student finance packages include:

  • A tuition fee loan
  • A maintenance loan - full-time students only
  • A maintenance grant or special support grant - full-time students only

Search the college websites for courses and costs:

Get a job

There are lots of different ways to find job opportunities in and around Northamptonshire.         

Our finding a job page has information and support on looking for and applying for a job.

Become an apprentice

Higher and degree apprenticeships offer an apprentice the opportunity to combine working while studying for a work-based academic or vocational high level qualification.

Apprenticeships can be a really positive experience for you and your future prospects. They may also be a better option for you than further education or full-time employment.

The find an apprenticeship vacancy website has a list of new vacancies in traditional and non-traditional sectors.


What is an internship?

An internship is a period of work experience, offered by an organisation, usually lasting for a fixed, limited period of time. They are typically undertaken by students and graduates looking to gain relevant skills and experience in a particular field.

Employers frequently use these placements to assess a student's or graduate's capability and often recruit employees from their interns rather than advertising their vacancies externally.

Where can I find an internship in the UK?

Prospects offer information about internships in the UK and you can also apply for an international internship.

Supported Internships

A supported internship is one type of study programme specifically aimed at young people aged 16 to 24 who have an EHC plan, who want to move into employment and need extra support to do so. In Northamptonshire, our colleges are offering supported internships to students accessing the supported learning programmes.

All young people should be helped to develop the skills and experience, and achieve the qualifications they need to succeed in their careers. The overwhelming majority of young people with SEN are capable of sustainable paid employment with the right preparation and support.

Adult learning

The Northamptonshire County Council's adult learning service offers a range of courses for those aged 19+ including, arts, beauty therapy, sport, languages and information technology.

Local Offer

The Local Offer is a database of services for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities.