What happens after Year 9?

When you are 13 or 14, you will need to start thinking about which subjects you would like to study in years 10 and 11.​

Your options

You can study at your current school or at a University Technical College (UTC).

Check at your school or UTC which options and courses are offered and if there are any entrance requirements.

You should also think about which courses you want to study in further and higher education or which career you might be interested in. Your choice of courses after year 9 could affect this.

No subject is easy but you are likely to be better at some than others and it is a good idea to choose ones you have an understanding of.

​GCSEs​Most schools will offer these qualifications and when you look for a job employers may insist on a passing grade in maths or English GCSE. You must also study science up to the age of 16.
​BTECs​These are qualifications which are more specific to a certain area of work, such as business or mechanics and will give you practical knowledge of a job sector. They can be taken in conjunction with, or separate from, GCSEs.

What if I have a disability or special educational needs?

If you have a disability or special educational needs, talk to your school as you may be able to get additional support to help you study and pass your exams. You can find more information on the education health and care plans webpage and the Local Offer site.

The Preparing for adulthood site has information and links for 14-18 year olds who require specialist support.

Video: Making choices in year 9

You will need to accept marketing cookies to watch this video. You can do this from the cookie pop up window or by visiting the cookies page.

Video courtesy of City of York Council.

Further information