Stress is a perfectly natural feeling that everybody experiences in one form or another.
Everyone has ‘mental health’ and this can be thought of in terms of:
- how we feel about ourselves and the people around us
- our ability to make and keep friends and relationships
- our ability to learn from others and to develop psychologically and emotionally.
Being mentally healthy is also about having the strength to overcome the difficulties and challenges we can all face at times in our lives, to have confidence and self-esteem, and to be able to take decisions and believe in ourselves.
It is quite normal to sometimes feel worried, anxious or upset when things don’t go as you hope – everyone faces pressure in their lives at certain times and these can include:
- Work and getting a job
- Growing up and becoming more independent from your family
- Making up (and breaking up) with friends
- Grief - dealing with the death of someone you know
There is plenty of help and support to guide you if you need help with your emotional wellbeing.
Rethink offer advice and support on mental health for young people
Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) Northamptonshire provide mental health support for children and young people in Northamptonshire
Time to change A programme to challenge mental health stigma and discrimination
The Lowdown offer free counselling and support to young people in Northamptonshire suffering with stress or anxiety
MIND Northampton can help with choices about stress treatment and reach out to sources of support.
Time 2 talk offers free counselling services for young people aged 13-25 in Daventry and Towcester
Youth Works Northamptonshire in Kettering and Corby offer one to one counselling, drop in support sessions and access to information, empowering young people to make informed decisions about their lives and emotional wellbeing
Text your school nurse - for friendly, helpful and confidential advice, text your school nurse on 07507 329 600
CAMHS live is provided by Northamptonshire Healthcare Foundation Trust (NHFT) and is available to help you access the mental health services you need. You can speak to them by phone or using their online live chat from Monday to Friday, 10am to 4.30pm.
Papyrus provide confidential help and advice to young people to prevent suicide
- Service Six - a specialist provider of outcome based professional therapeutic support, diversionary and activity services for thousands of hard-to-reach disadvantaged children, young people, adults and families - covers the Wellingborough area
- CHAT Youth Counselling - confidential support and advice from qualified professionals through 1-2-1 counselling or therapeutic mentoring - covers the East Northamptonshire area
Watch the video below where Carrie Hope Fletcher talks about ways to deal with a stressful life:
Northamptonshire's children and young people's mental health and wellbeing
Northamptonshire County Council are working together with local partners to develop local transformation plans for delivering improvements in children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing in Northamptonshire over the next 5 years.
This is to ensure that every child or young person gets the help they need when and where they need it. Find out more on the
Nene Clinical Commissioning Group Future in Mind website.