Educational psychology support for young people

​An educational psychologist is someone who visits schools to work with teachers, parents or carers and students.

Educational psychologists are trained to find solutions to issues about learning, development and behaviour. We are here to help you get the most out of school and to cope with any difficulties that might stop you learning.

What can we help you with?

We can help with all sorts of problems. For example, we can help when you are:

  • Finding schoolwork hard
  • Worrying too much about things
  • Feeling unhappy about things
  • Feeling angry or upset about things
  • Getting into trouble in school
  • Not getting along with friends or being bullied

What will we do?

When we are asked to help we first check with your parent or carer that it is ok. We will then do different things to help make things better. For example, we may:

  • Talk to you to hear what you think, maybe once or more often
  • Talk with people who know you well
  • Spend some time in your classroom to see what sort of work you do
  • Get to know you by doing some activities or assessments together
  • Make a plan together about how to make things better

After a while we will meet again to see if the plan is helping.

What will it be like to meet us?

We know that sometimes it is hard to talk about what you are thinking or feeling. We will help you feel as comfortable as possible and will listen carefully to what you say. You do not have to meet with us if you don’t want to.

We will keep a record of the work we are doing together and we will agree what information can be shared with others such as your parents or carers or teachers. You have a right to tell us if there is something you do not wish to be shared. The only time we are not able to keep something confidential is if it is something very serious that adults need to know about to keep you or someone else safe.

Your opinions and ideas matter

You have a right to say what you think and to be listened to at meetings when decisions are being made. Your views and questions are very important – it will be easier for us to help you and the people who work with you if we know what you think. The psychologist may write a letter or a report about their work with you and you can ask to see this.

What do I do if I want to speak to an educational psychologist?

Your school will probably have a link to an educational psychologist. Your school special educational needs coordinator (SENCo) or head of year will be able to arrange to involve the psychologist if they think this is the best way to help you.