General Data Protection Regulation and Data Protection Act 2018

Subject to certain exemptions, under theFile Download - Data Protection Act 2018 (PDF KB)Data Protection Act 2018 (PDF 2.92MB), you have certain rights where we hold any information about you (your 'personal data').

These rights include:

  • the right to rectification (correction) of your data
  • the right to erasure (the right to be forgotten)
  • the right to restrict processing
  • the right to object to processing
  • the right of access

​North and West Northamptonshire Council have now replaced the county's eight previous councils:

How can I find out what information the council holds on me?

Access to Records (Subject Access Request)

If you would like to access information that the Council holds on you, your request is called a 'Subject Access Request' (SAR) and must be made in writing. Your request must include:

  • your name
  • your address
  • a description of the information you want
  • identification to make sure we are providing the right information to the right person

​North and West Northamptonshire Council have now replaced the county's eight previous councils:

Northamptonshire Children's Trust subject access request form

To access this request form you need to email ​

Current and former employees 

If you are requesting records held in relation to your employment with Northamptonshire County Council (including payroll and pensions) please complete the Subject Access Request form above and send to the Data Protection Team by emailing

Further guidance for managers and employees on SAR requests can be found on the intranet in the 'Access to Personal Information Policy'.

Please be advised that records are held in line with the council's retention and disposal policy.

Requesting information on behalf of someone you represent

There are various circumstances when you may legitimately require access to personal records for someone other than yourself. For example, if your are requesting information as a partner, parent, legal guardian, main carer, legal representative, advocate, etc.

Generally a person with parental responsibility can submit a request on behalf of the child who is 12 years old or younger. When a child is over 12 years old they are normally considered to be old enough to make a request themselves.

​North and West Northamptonshire Council have now replaced the county's eight previous councils:

Northamptonshire Children's Trust access request form

To access this request form you need to email ​

Contacting us

If we cannot find what you have requested based on the details you give us, we may come back to you for clarification.

You can send your request either by post or email to:

FOI/Data Protection Team
One Angel Square


​Once your request has been received, we will find the information and review it to establish that you are entitled to it.

This is because the law provides a number of exemptions to the release of information. Information that identifies other people will not be released, unless they have given their permission for us to do so.

There is no fee to pay for a Subject Access Request.

​Applicants will need to supply at least one form of identification and one form of proof of residence.

Acceptable proof of personal identification includes:

  • a copy of your driving licence
  • a copy of your birth certificate
  • a copy of your passport with the relevant page(s) showing your name, the passport number and photograph

Acceptable proof of residence includes:

  • a copy of rent card or book
  • benefit book
  • Council Tax bill
  • utility bill or credit or bank statement from the last 3 months
  • letter from a government department (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, Home Office, etc.)

We reserve the right to ask for further proof of identification and original documents where necessary.

Please note, if you are requesting access to information held on someone else (known as third party information) you must complete the form above and provide proof that you are entitled to access this information using one or more of the following:

  • letter of consent from the person (generally applies to anyone over the age of 12, unless the Council can be satisfied that the person does not have the understanding to make this decision)
  • proof of parental responsibility or guardianship (generally applies to anyone under the age of 18) e.g. child's birth certificate of legal document detailing guardianship
  • evidence of Power of Attorney or Court Order

With regard to proof of father's parental responsibility, if the child is born after 1 December 2003 and the father is named on the birth certificate, please provide a copy of the child's birth certificate. For children born prior to 1 December 2003, evidence of parental responsibility can be by way of marriage certificate to the mother of child, Parental Responsibility Order or Parental Responsibility Agreement.

​When we receive a request for information with satisfactory documentation and cleared payment, we will process as promptly as possible.

The law says that we have to respond within 1 month, although in exceptional circumstances we may ask your permission to extend this period.

We are permitted to withhold information if it falls under one of the exemptions in the Act. If this is the case, we will contact you and explain why.

​You can write back to us using the contact details above outlining the information you believe hasn't been included and requesting that we review the response.

If you are still not satisfied with our response, you can contact the Information Commissioner.

​There is no specific limit on the number of requests. However, we are not obliged to respond to unreasonable or repeated requests.

Children in care and people who were previously children in care (24 years old and under) requesting a copy of their care records

​If you are currently or have recently been a looked after child in the care of Northamptonshire County Council and are under the age of 25, you should contact the Leaving Care Team who will be able to support you through the process of accessing your records.

Leaving Care Service
Russell House
Rickyard Road
NN3 3QZ (Near Booth Lane College)

01604 364778 / 01604 364779


You can find out more information about your rights as a Child in Care or care leaver by visiting the Young Northants website.

Children in care and people who were previously children in care (over 25 years old) requesting a copy of the care records

Your request is called a 'Subject Access Request' (SAR) and must be made in writing. Your request must include:

  • your name
  • your address
  • a description of the information you want

Identification to make sure we are providing the right information to the right person, as per the above list.

It would speed up your request if you use the SAR application form:

Adopted children 

If you were adopted as a child through Northamptonshire County Council and would like to access your records related to your adoption, please use the link below:

Access adoption records

Educational records 

Please contact your school directly to access your educational records e.g. your grades, attendance record etc.

To find the contact details of your school, please visit the schools directory.

If you would like to access Educational Psychology records, if you had a Statement of Special Educational Needs or if you have an Education, Health and Care Plan, please follow the guidance below relating to general disclosure.

Street Doctor 

​We would like to advise you that information you add to the location or details fields when submitting a Street Doctor form will be displayed on our website to show other customers previous reports that have already been logged. As long as you do not add your personal information to these fields, no personal details will be displayed back to any other customers.

Data protection registration 

Notification under the Data Protection Act is a statutory requirement and every organisation that processes personal information must notify the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), unless they are exempt. Failure to notify is a criminal offence.

Notification is the process by which a data controller gives the ICO details about their processing of personal information. The ICO publishes certain details in the register of data controllers, which is available for public inspection. This process is known as Data Protection Registration.

The council's registration number is Z7589390 and the current registration can be viewed on the Information Commissioner's Office website.