Street Doctor

​Street Doctor is the council's online highway defect reporting system which allows you to tell us about a problem with our roads.

Who we are

Northamptonshire County Council (NCC) is the Data Controller for the purpose of the General Data Protection Regulations, i.e. we are responsible for, and control the processing of, your personal information.

What is the legal basis for us to process your data?

  • Public task – in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority.

Why and what personal data to we collect about you?

We ask for your personal data so we can deliver our service, keep you updated on progress and to ensure that we meet our statutory obligations.

The information we may collect includes but is not limited to:

  • name
  • address
  • phone numbers
  • email address

How we protect and use your personal data

All personal data we collect from you complies with the data protection principles, as stated in data protection legislation (the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) and the General Data Protection Regulation) and Northamptonshire County Council's Data Protection Registration with the Information Commissioner's Office; for full list please check the ICO website.

Any personal data we collect will be held as an electronic record on a database system managed by our software supplier My Society. The records maintained within the database are only seen by staff who need to see any of the personal data provided so they can do their job. The security of the data follows NCC policies on Information Management.

There is no requirement for you to provide us with any personal data when completing the online form. Any personal data collected as part of this process will only be used for the purpose of dealing with your report.

Information you add to the location or details fields when submitting a Street Doctor form will be displayed on our website. As long as you do not add your personal information to these fields, no personal details will be displayed back to any other customers.

Sharing personal data

Sometimes it is necessary for the council to share information you have provided with other organisations. This typically will be where an organisation plays a role in providing a service. For example, where we commission another organisation to provide it on our behalf.

Street Doctor is managed by the council's Highways Service Provider KierWSP. Any information provided to us about a highway defect will be assessed and updated by KierWSP. They will have access to any personal data you provide and may use this to contact you about the defect you have reported should further information be required.

District and Borough Councils may also have access to any personal data you provide as they carry out certain functions on behalf of Northamptonshire County Council. For example, maintenance of trees and hedges. Each of these authorities will have their own privacy notices explaining how they will look after your data should it be necessary for us to forward your concerns onto them.

The FixMyStreet software supplier also has access to all information you provide in order to deliver your problem report to the right place and to administer the software. See a copy of their privacy statement.

How long do we keep your records?

We will keep the personal data for no longer than is necessary and the council's retention schedule will be used for this purpose. Sometimes, the law sets the length of time personal data must be kept.

Your rights

You have the right to ask us to stop processing your personal data in relation to any council service. However, this may stop us delivering a service to you. Where possible, we will do as you ask, but we may need to hold or process personal data to comply with a legal requirement.

​We must be completely transparent with you and this Privacy Notice is one of the ways we try and let you know how your data is handled.

At any point you can contact us to request the personal data we hold on you as well as why we have that personal data, who has access to the personal data and where we obtained the personal data from.

For information relating to Data Protection or Freedom of Information, contact

FOI/Data Protection Team
Northamptonshire County Council
One Angel Square
Angel Street
01604 367407

​You have the right without undue delay to request the rectification or updating of inaccurate personal data. For data you have provided to Street Doctor please contact us at

If you feel that we should no longer be using your personal data or that we are unlawfully using your personal data, you can request that we erase the personal data we hold.

When we receive your request, we will confirm whether the personal data has been deleted or the reason why it cannot be deleted (for example because we need it for to comply with a legal obligation).

​You can request a restriction or suppression of your personal data. When processing is restricted, we are permitted to store the personal data, but not use it. This is not an absolute right and only applies in certain circumstances.

​The right to data portability gives you the right to receive personal data you have provided to a controller in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format. It also gives you the right to request that a controller transmits this data directly to another controller.

Please note that this right does not apply if processing is necessary to comply with a legal obligation or for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest. 

​The GDPR gives individuals the right to object to the processing of their personal data in certain circumstances. You have an absolute right to stop your data being used for direct marketing.

The right to object only applies in certain circumstances. Whether it applies depends on your purposes for processing and your lawful basis for processing.

​The GDPR restricts us from making solely automated decisions, including those based on profiling, that have a legal or similarly significant effect on individuals. The law provides safeguards for you against the risk that a potentially damaging decision is taken without human intervention. The right does not apply in certain circumstances such as where you give your explicit consent.

Making a complaint to the Information Commissioner

If you wish to make a complaint about how we use or process your personal data to the Information Commissioner's Officer, you can contact them by visiting their website, at, or via their helpline on 0303 123 1113 (local rate – calls to this number cost the same as calls to 01 or 02 numbers).

Further information

If you would like further information about the personal data we hold or if you have a complaint about how your personal data has been used, please contact in the first instance.

Alternatively, you can also contact the Data Protection Officer: