The following privacy notice applies to Trading Standards.
Northamptonshire County Council (NCC) is the Data Controller for the purpose of the General Data Protection Regulations, i.e. we are responsible for, and control the processing of, your personal information.
Contact details of the Data Protection Officer:
- Contact details
- Financial information(where a payment is involved)
- Referral or assessment information
- Information relevant to complaint/enquiry, investigation, etc.
The information collected will vary according to the issue being dealt with.
Agencies we might share the information with
- Judicial Agencies e.g. Courts, legal representatives
- Defendants and their legal representatives
- District, Borough or County Councils
- Other County Council Services and other Local Authorities
- Other Government Agencies
- RSPCA (in cases involving alleged crime relating to non-farmed animals)
- Persons seeking to enforce their civil rights via a judicial process
- Enforcement Receivers appointed under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002
- Businesses with whom we have a Primary Authority Partnership (to help them improve compliance with legal requirements), such information will always be anonymised
Purposes for processing
- Service delivery
- Service planning and improvement
- Prevention and detection of crime or fraud
How long will we hold your personal data?
How we protect and use your personal data
All personal data we collect from you complies with the data protection principles, as stated in data protection legislation (the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) and the General Data Protection Regulation) and Northamptonshire County Council's Data Protection Registration with the Information Commissioner's Office. For a full list please check the
Exercising your rights
Under the EU General Data Protection Regulation and the EU Law Enforcement Directive you have the following rights:
- The right to confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning you is being processed
- The right to know the recipients or categories of recipient to whom the personal data has been disclosed
- The right of access to your own personal data
- The right to request rectification or deletion of your personal data
- The right to object to the processing of your personal data
- The right to request a copy of the information you provide us in machine-readable format
- The right to withdraw your consent to any processing that is solely reliant upon your consent
- However, your rights of access to the information may be restricted to the extent and for so long as it is necessary and proportionate to:
- Protect the rights and freedoms of others.
Additionally, if the processing is for a ‘law enforcement’ purpose (see above), your rights of access to the information above may be restricted to the extent and for so long as it is necessary and proportionate to:
- Avoid prejudicing the prevention, detection, investigation or prosecution of criminal offences or the execution of criminal penalties.
Should you wish to exercise any of your rights or you wish to complain about the way that your personal data has been handled by Northamptonshire County Council, you should contact the Data Protection Officer. This should be in writing to:
FOI/Data Protection Team
Northamptonshire County Council
One Angel Square
If you remain dissatisfied with the way your personal data has been handled, you may refer the matter to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose contact details are below:
Information Commissioner’s Office