Violence against women and girls (VAWG)

The World Health Organisation (WHO), Violence Prevention Alliance, 2011, refers to violence against women and girls (VAWG) as violence between individuals and subdivides it into family and intimate partner violence and community violence.

Report violence against women and girls (VAWG)


If you have witnessed VAWG and it is an emergency, please call 999.

 If you would like to report an incident and it is not an emergency please call 101.

What is VAWG?

Below is a list of all things considered as VAWG:

  • domestic abuse
  • honour based violence (including female genital mutilation and forced marriage)
  • sexual violence
  • rape
  • stalking and harassment
  • trafficking and adult sexual exploitation
Although we have adopted the VAWG agenda, we do not exclude men from the support or services that we provide.

How to get help

If you are a victim of violence​ there are appropriate and confidential services that are able to help:

The Sunflower Centre

The Sunflower Centre is a partnership funded service providing non-judgemental specialist support to victims of domestic abuse. Through support they aim to identity those most at risk of harm and safety plan to help keep them safe.

If you are a victim of abuse, Northamptonshire Sunflower Centre can provide you with advice and support to enable you to achieve a safe and happy life. If someone you know is suffering from abuse, encourage them to access support.

To find out more information about the Sunflower Centre including what they can offer, opening times and the address, visit the Sunflower Centre entry in our Children and Families Service Finder

Northamptonshire Against Domestic and Sexual Violence (NADASA)

NADASA offer services to victims of domestic and sexual violence. They also offer support for men.

Visit the NADASA​ website to find out more.

Advice for family and friends

Below is a link to advice for family and friends of those they suspect or know are experiencing VAWG: