In light of the national guidance regarding COVID-19, we are now operating a telephone based service only, and no face to face consultations will be taking place until further notice.
We can still offer 12 weeks of telephone support, with e-cigarettes and nicotine replacement therapy sent straight to your door.
Contact the stop smoking team
Alternatively, call the team today on 0300 126 5700.
Please note that this number is not always manned at the moment due to coronavirus, if you leave a message we will get back to you as soon as possible.
How we can help
Congratulations on taking the first step to a smoke free life. Stopping smoking will help you feel better, and will almost immediately improve your health.
Public Health Northamptonshire offers:
- A dedicated Stop Smoking Service, providing 12 Weeks of FREE behavioural support
- Tips and advice on how to stop smoking
- Face to face and/or telephone appointments
- County wide clinics, with appointments available Monday to Friday
- A FREE course of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)
- A FREE e-cigarette starter kit and 12 week supply of e-liquid
- Champix pharmacy/GP referral letter
Did you know that you are four times more likely to give up smoking with professional support, as opposed to going it alone?
Smoking in pregnancy
Stopping smoking during pregnancy is the most effective way of ensuring that your child has the best start in life. Although it can be tough to stop smoking, there is plenty of help available across Northamptonshire. Cigarettes contain over 4,000 chemicals, many of which can prevent your baby from growing properly, and increase their risk of developing significant health problems.
The benefits of stopping smoking in pregnancy include:
- you will reduce the risk of complications in pregnancy and birth
- you will reduce the risk of stillbirth
- your baby is less likely to be born too early and have to face the additional breathing, feeding and health problems that often go with being premature
- you are more likely to have a healthier pregnancy and a healthier baby
- your baby is less likely to be born underweight
- you will reduce the risk of cot death, also known as sudden infant death syndrome
Nicotine replacement therapy
Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) contains only nicotine and none of the damaging chemicals found in cigarettes, so it is a much better option than continuing to smoke. It helps you by giving you the nicotine you would have had from a cigarette.
Although you can purchase NRT over the counter, we recommend getting it through a specialist service and combining it with behavioural support. First for Wellbeing can provide you with up to 12 weeks of NRT alongside one-to-one behavioural support.
If you would like help to stop smoking please contact us on 0300 126 5700 or email
Top tips to help you quit
Richard Holley, Stop Smoking Specialist, runs through some tips for quitting:
Clare and Sue's stories
Clare and Sue have both quit recently with the help of our team.
Watch their stories:
Public health plan
See key statistics for smoking in Northamptonshire: