Disabled person's bus pass

Disabled people are eligible for a free bus pass.

Where and when can I use my bus pass?

A disabled person's bus pass will allow you free travel on local buses anywhere in England from 9:30am to 11pm on weekdays, and all day at weekends and on bank holidays.

What do I need to provide as proof of eligibility?

Please use the table below to find out what evidence is required to prove your eligibility for a disabled person's bus pass.

Criteria for bus passEvidence required
​1  Resident in Northamptonshire

(If you do not have a Northamptonshire postcode, please use the Directgov postcode checker to confirm that your residence is in Northamptonshire.)

​Household bill or bank statement which has your name and address on (preferably no more than 3 months old).

We'll also need to see proof of your identity such as a birth certificate, current driving licence or current passport.

​2 Proof of disability
​See criteria for specific disability
​A is blind or partially sighted
Any one of these:
  • Yellow card or registration card (obtainable from Olympus Care Tel: 0300 126 7000)
  • Medical evidence signed by a medical professional
  • Letter from Social Services
  • Certificate of Vision Impairment signed by a Consultant Ophthalmologist
​B is profoundly or severely deaf Any one of these:
  • Registration card
  • Medical evidence signed by a medical professional 
  • Letter from Social Services
​C is without speech
Any one of these:
  • Registration card
  • Medical evidence signed by a medical professional 
  • Letter from Social Services
​D has a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk Any one of these:Any one of these:
  • Disabled residents Blue Parking Badge (issued by Northamptonshire)
  • Letter from the Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) showing entitlement to the Higher Rate Mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Awarded 8 points or more for the "Moving around" activity for Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Medical evidence signed by a medical professional
  • Letter from Service Personnel & Veterans Agency certifying “permanent or substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking”
  • War pensioners mobility supplement
​E does not have arms or has long-term loss of the use of both arms Any one of these:
  • Medical evidence signed by a medical professional 
  • Letter from Social Services
​F has a learning disability, this is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning

  • You will be eligible if:
  • You have a learning disability which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning. This includes Downs Syndrome, some autistic spectrum disorders and other learning disabilities which mean that you;
    • have difficulty in understanding new and complex information, and
    • have difficulty learning new skills, and
    • may not be able to cope independently*.
*someone who cannot cope independently may be able to live on their own but may need help with some aspects e.g. managing household bills.

You will not be eligible because of:
  • dyslexia or attention deficit disorder - these would not qualify as “significant impairment of intelligence or social functioning‟
  • dyspraxia - this is incomplete physical development, rather than incomplete development of mind
  • mental health problems
  • any condition which started after you became an adult (e.g. brain injury). N.B. you may still qualify if your condition is so severe that you would be refused a driving licence. See the information for Category G for more details.
​Any one of the following:
  • Letter from a learning disability co-ordinator at a mainstream school or college where you are studying
  • For a child, a Statement of Special Educational Needs
  • For a child or student, a letter from the head of a special school or college where they are studying
  • Letter from social services, or another appropriate organization providing support services (e.g. Mencap)
  • Letter from the manager of residential home or sheltered accommodation where you are resident
  • Medical evidence signed by a medical professional (you may ask your GP to provide a letter, but this is not an NHS service. The doctor is not obliged to provide one. As this is a private service you may be charged for a letter).
Any letter provided as evidence should describe your disability so that it is possible to see whether the criteria apply to you.
​G would, if he or she applied for a grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have his or her application refused pursuant to Section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol

Under Section 92 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 the Secretary of State may refuse to issue a driving licence on the grounds of the applicant's medical fitness.  Those who are currently barred from holding a licence are people with:
  • epilepsy (unless it is of a type which does not pose a danger - see below)
  • severe mental disorder
  • liability to sudden attacks of giddiness or fainting (whether as a result of cardiac disorder or otherwise)
  • inability to read a registration plate in good light at 20.5 metres (with lenses if worn)
  • other disabilities which are likely to cause a driving of vehicles by them to be a source of danger to the public
​Any one of these:
  • Letter from Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
  • Medical evidence signed by a medical professional

How to obtain a disabled person's bus pass

You will need to provide proof of your eligibility as detailed in the proof of eligibility table above. You can apply up to two weeks before the date of eligibility.

If you already have a pass and it is about to expire you will need to re-apply. You can do this up to 30 days before the expiry date and you will again need to provide proof of disability. If your address has changed since your last pass was issued you will also need to provide proof of address.

You can apply online:

Apply now 

Or visit a library:

How long will it take to get my bus pass?

It can take up to ten working days from the date of your application.

What do I do if my bus pass is lost or stolen?

If your pass is lost or stolen, you can apply online for a replacement.

Apply for a replacement bus pass