Disabled people - parking outside your home

​We can help people who have a valid Blue Badge and are experiencing difficulty in finding a parking space outside their home.

Who is eligible?

You are likely to be considered eligible for help if:

  • You are the driver living at the property and you have serious mobility difficulties.
  • You are the driver living at the property and you care for a disabled person who has serious mobility difficulties and who, because of age or condition, cannot be left alone.

By serious mobility difficulties, we mean that walking short distances presents a problem and a difficulty.

You will not be considered eligible for help if:

  • None of the persons living at the address have a vehicle and a valid disabled Blue Badge
  • If a sign and/or line is required solely for the purpose of a disabled person to be picked up or dropped off by ambulance or family
  • If it is not possible to park directly outside your home
  • If you already have provision of off road parking i.e. a garage or driveway 

​The parking space will consist of a single white road marking, approximately 5 metres long, but will not extend beyond the boundaries of your property.

A sign will also be provided if there is a suitable fence or wall that it can be attached to. If not available, a new metal post will be provided at your own expense.

The sign and line are advisory only and cannot be enforced by the Highway Authority personnel or the police. This means the sign and line will be ineffective if not respected by your neighbours.

The sign (if provided) remains the property of the Highway Authority. Should the line require renewing please inform us via our online Street Doctor reporting system. Any requests will be attended to as and when budgets and suitable personnel are available during routine highway maintenance operations.

Please tell us if, for any reason, the sign is no longer required at that address. We will then arrange to collect it for re-use.

If you think you are eligible, please complete the application form below. Your application needs to be countersigned by a professional who knows about your mobility problems such as a doctor, health visitor, occupational therapist or similar.

The applicant should be aware that some medical practices may make a charge for completing this form.
When we receive your application, the location will be inspected to make sure the request is practical, safe and justified.

​We will write to you within 6 to 8 weeks to advise you of the outcome of your application.

If unsuccessful we will inform you why.

If your request is agreed, you will be required to pay £200 for the sign and/or line and we will include payment details in the acceptance letter.

If there is not an appropriate garden fence, wall or property wall regretfully an additional £140 (£340 in total) would have to be charged for a new post for the sign to be fixed to.

Work will not be ordered until payment has been received and then programmed to be carried out when suitable personnel are in the area.

​If you are making your application during the winter months (October to April), please bear in mind there may be a long delay in carrying out this work due to weather conditions.