We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. If you are expecting a response from our Blue Badge email address: BBMailroom@northamptonshire.gov.uk, please check your junk or spam folders.
A Blue Badge is a disabled parking permit that allows people with severe mobility issues or non-visible (hidden) conditions, causing them to severely struggle with the journeys between a vehicle and their destination, easier access to public facilities by allowing them to park close to where they need to go.
There is a £10 charge when applying for a Blue Badge payable by credit or debit card. If you are not eligible you will be automatically refunded.
This application process is for both first time applications and customers who have an existing Blue Badge.
On receipt of all correct
supporting documentation your badge will be issued within 6 weeks. Please note if you do not provide the documents we request from you within 28 days, your application will be cancelled and any payments made will be refunded.
You will not automatically receive a renewal reminder. It is the badge holder's responsibility to apply for a new badge 8 weeks before the expiry date.
Please read 'Requirements before applying for a blue badge' before applying. If required documents aren't uploaded within 5 working days this may cause a delay in your application.
Due to the nature of non-visible (hidden) conditions, applications will be assessed under the new criteria by looking at an applicant's needs.
Having a certain condition or disability does not automatically entitle somebody to a blue badge. Applicants will be required to have all supporting documents and diagnosis letter at the time of making an application.
If you don’t receive an automatic email after submitting your Blue Badge Application from
BBMailroom@northamptonshire.gov.uk, please check your junk or spam folders.
Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
You automatically qualify if:
As part of your application you will be required to provide supporting documentation as evidence of your qualifying benefit. Your blue badge will only be issued until the expiry date of your award. If your award ends within two years you will be contacted for further information.
If you do not automatically qualify for a blue badge your application will be assessed according to eligibility criteria. As part of your application you may be asked to attend an independent mobility assessment and / or provide medical information in support of your application. Badges which fall under the discretionary criteria will be issued for 3 years.
You may qualify if:
- You are unable to walk.
- Experience considerable difficulty when walking, which may include considerable psychological distress.
- Be at risk of serious harm when walking or pose, when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person.
- You drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable or would find it very difficult to operate all or some types of parking meter.
Applying under the new criteria
From 30 August 2019 the new criteria for Blue Badge applications in England will be introduced.
You, or the applicant, should consider applying for a Blue Badge if a non-visible (hidden) condition causes severe difficulty with journeys between a vehicle and the destination, and either:
- are constantly a significant risk to yourself or others near vehicles, in traffic or car parks
- severely struggle to plan or follow a journey
- find it difficult or impossible to control your actions and lack awareness of the impact you could have on others
- regularly have intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behavioural control
- frequently become extremely anxious or fearful of public or open spaces
If one or more of these are relevant to you or the applicant, please apply using the online service.
Understand what you require before you apply.
Children under 3 years
If you are the parent of a child who is less than 3 years old you may apply for a Blue Badge for your child if they have a specific medical condition, which means they:
- Always need to be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty.
- Have to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital.
The badge will expire on the day immediately following their third birthday.
DS1500 or terminally ill
If you have been diagnosed with a terminal illness that seriously limits your mobility or are in receipt of a DS1500.
As part of your Blue Badge application, you may be invited to attend an independent mobility assessment. You will be able to book an appointment using the online application (if needed) or we will contact you if you're required to attend a mobility assessment after submitting an application.
With a Blue Badge you can:
- Park for up to three hours on a single or double yellow line as long as there are no loading restrictions. The clock on the badge must be set to show your time of arrival.
- Park without time limit at a pay and display parking bay (free of charge), and without time limit on a designated on-street accessible bay.
- Park on resident parking permit bays without a time limit.
The badge can only be used where the holder is a passenger to or from the parking location.
You can also use your Blue Badge throughout the European Union, although the terms may vary between countries. Check EU Blue Badge rules before you go.
If you move out of Northamptonshire you can still use the badge until it expires. When your badge needs renewing you should contact the council where you are living.
You should not hold more than one blue badge at any given time or share your Blue Badge.
To find out more you can visit Blue Badge scheme: rights and responsibilities in England.
If you suspect a Blue Badge is being misused you should obtain as many details as possible from the Blue Badge on display (name, badge number, expiry date, etc.). The council will then investigate the matter and take appropriate action if the Blue Badge can be shown to have been, or is being, misused.Report Blue Badge misuse