The HWRCs are extremely busy and visitor numbers are high. Please be aware that the sites may temporarily close throughout the day to disperse traffic.
Vehicles that continue to queue and obstruct the approach roads may be asked to return to the site at a different time.
The camera and ANPR system are due to be upgraded across the HWRC network.
The webcam link for the HWRC sites has been temporarily removed whilst the work is being carried out.
Please keep checking the Authority website for updates, as the public view web link will be reinstated once the CCTV improvements have been fully completed.
Who is able to visit HWRCs and why?
should not visit HWRCs under any circumstances if any of the following applies:
- you are in self-isolation
- you have COVID-19 symptoms
- you live with someone who has symptoms
Pedestrian access is not permitted at any site.
When will HWRCs be open?
Recycling centres are open during their normal operational hours.
Do not arrive before 10am. Vehicles queuing in advance of the sites opening may obstruct approach roads. Police are monitoring the queues, and you may be asked to return to the site at a different time.
The HWRCs close at 6pm even if traffic is still queuing. Please be aware that if there are queues outside the site when you arrive and it is within an hour of when the sites are due to close, you may not be able to dispose of your waste and will need to return at a different time.
Some sites may have to close at short notice due to operational issues such as staff shortages or queues blocking neighbouring roads.
What will I need to know before I travel to a HWRC?
- If any households have had COVID-19 symptoms then the waste should be left for 72 hours before being brought to site and the waste should be double-bagged
- Avoid bringing excessive amounts and remember to pre-sort your waste before travelling, so we can get people in and out as quickly as possible to help reduce queue times.
- No medical waste should be brought to the HWRC for disposal
- The HWRC service is for Northamptonshire residents only. You should bring a document (e.g. a council tax bill) that displays your name and address which must be shown to site staff if requested.
Do not arrive before the site(s) open at 10am. Please do not queue before the site(s) are open to enable staff to get to the site and avoid obstructing the approach roads. Early queuing may cause further delays by preventing recycling centre staff from getting to work, as well as the movement of large waste vehicles on and off site.
Police will be patrolling approach roads and vehicles may be asked to move on if they are causing an obstruction.
Unacceptable or abusive behaviour will not be tolerated under any circumstances and the site staff reserve the right to ask to leave the HWRC without depositing your waste.
If you are queuing for the recycling centre please be considerate and do not block access for businesses, residents or other road users.
Will there be any restrictions?
- The number of vehicles on site may be restricted to allow for the safe disposal of household waste.
- Traffic management will be in place at all sites and due to safety concerns queueing outside of the site will be restricted, residents may be asked to leave and return at a later time
HWRC e-permits system will remain in force, which will restrict access for commercial type vehicles
There may be temporary closures throughout the operating day to disperse excess queuing traffic. We will keep this website and social media updated.
Stay safe by wearing protective gloves, appropriate footwear and clothing. Only bring what you can safely handle as staff may not be able to help you carry your waste as they normally would.