The government has announced today (Friday 4 September 2020) that the boroughs of Corby and Kettering have been added to its COVID-19 watch list as ‘areas of concern’ due to recent increase in case numbers in both local authority areas. The borough of Northampton is to be downgraded from an ‘area of intervention’ to an ‘area of enhanced support’.
Over the last seven days we have seen a significant increase in the number of cases of Coronavirus in the boroughs of Corby and Kettering. A combination of factors have led to a rise in the daily incidence rate per 100,000 population and an increase in the percentage of tests turning positive.
Both Corby and Kettering have seen increases in the 20-29 year old age groups in particular. People in this age range tend to be more social, to mix more, play sports and generally have active social lives. In Northampton, cases are also highest in the younger adult population but the range is wider, with 20-39 year olds accounting for the most cases.
The current rates mean that central government are closely monitoring the situation in the three areas and are seeking assurance on the action being taken locally to address the recent increase.
The current guidance in the boroughs of Northampton, Corby, Kettering and Wellingborough remains as follows:
- Limit contact with others outside of your household or bubble
- Work from home if you can
- Keep 2 metres from others at all times, use a face covering where you are less than 2 metres apart
- Avoid using public transport or car sharing, wear face coverings if you cannot avoid these
- If you have COVID-19 symptoms, stay at home, self-isolate and get a test
- Avoid meeting those outside of your household or bubble in an indoor space
- Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly for 20 seconds each time
- Do not share items with others outside of your household or bubble
- If you have COVID-19 symptoms, do not go to work, either work from home or report sick, self-isolate and get a test
- Even if you only have mild COVID-19 symptoms, get a test
- If you are contacted by test and trace and asked to self-isolate, stay at home for 14 days
Additional guidance and promotion will be in place in Corby, Kettering and Northampton over the weekend and into next week, targeted specifically at the 20-39 age groups.
Our key message remains that Coronavirus has not gone away and residents need to remember to follow social distancing guidance at all times, whether in a COVID-19 secure environment or not, to continue to regularly and thoroughly wash their hands and to seek testing should they be concerned or have symptoms.